SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artlover13060_gw

Please help with night stands

artlover13060
14 years ago

I am in the process of redecorating my MB. I put this off for years because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. A few months ago DH and I toured one of the SL cottages and fell in love with the bedroom. It is not a typical MB but suits us.

I am doing the project on an extreme budget - setting priorities and making all the bedding, drapery and art myself. I am keeping the furniture except for the night stands which never matched or fit the space anyway. I'm also getting new lamps.

I am stumped on the night stands. There isn't a lot of space to work with. From the door frame/wall to the headboard is 24". I don't want it to look crowded like it does now. And, I don't know what style I should use. Do you think something with straight lines like in the inspiration photo would work with my headboard? I had considered round tables with a cloth to the floor but that's a lot of fabric right next to the bed with all it's fabric trappings. I also played with the idea of a short shelf on each side of the bed. I am open to all budget friendly ideas, including some that are unconventional like garden furniture.

Inspiration Room:

{{!gwi}}

My bedroom. I am painting over the mural and replacing all the bedding:

{{!gwi}}

Comments (36)

• mclarke
    14 years ago

For a narrow night-stand space, you might try googling "telephone table"... they are usually not so wide, and have that oh-so-necessary drawer and shelf.

This one is only 17" wide, $82 from Overstock.

You can also search for "accent table"... the table above also has an "accent" version, which is 19.5 inches wide.

• camlan
    14 years ago

This is how I read the inspiration picture. The bed is wood, curvy and whimiscal. The nightstand appears to be metal, streamlined, and open. I can't quite tell what the top of the nightstand is, metal, glass, slate? But the key design element, to me, is the contrast between the curvy, inviting bed with all the fabric treatment and the more straightlined, simple shape and harder materials of the nightstand. And the metal of the nightstands appears to tie in with the metal of the curtain rods.

So I think fabric covered tables would take you in a direction opposite of your inspiration room. If you really want them, that's fine. Go ahead and use them, because inspiration rooms are starting points to help you get the room you want.

But if you would like to capture more of the look of the inspiration room, I'd look for tables that are very open, with clean lines, metal if you can find them, dark wood or black paint if you can't, with no "fussiness" about them. Just clean lines.

There's a set of nesting tables that might work here: http://www.potterybarn.com/products/p7274/index.cfm?pkey=caccent-tables-value

Or this, which has more storage: http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Oxford_Telephone_Table_with_Drawer/210/

Or this: http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Soho_Randall_Square_End_Table/210/

One last thing to consider for tables beside your bed--do you like the height of your current nightstands? With the newer, thicker mattresses, I've had to change my nightstand to one that's a bit higher, so that I can see to read the clock without my glasses on. If you like the height of your tables now, measure them and use that as a guideline when you are shopping. If you are going for something not labeled as a "nightstand" the heights will vary and you want to make sure you get something that works for you.

• Related Discussions

Please show me your night stands!

Q

Comments (29)
    I am moving into a newly-remodeled unfurnished MCM home and am in need of a bedroom set. I've become enamoured with these cantilevered nightstands, which are built from laquered solid walnut. Made by Kimball (yes, same company that made the pianos, including the one I learned to play on). Nice full-extension drawers, which like the outer surfaces are laquered. Would these look good in a circa-1950 modernest house? The left side gets a mirror image of the same nightstand: Also like the little table that's part of the set - not sure what it's intended to be used for, it's simple but it's nice: These aren't cheap, so if you've seen anything similar out there that's closer to the Ikea pricing I'm used to, pls let me know! This post was edited by lee676 on Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 16:55
    ...See More

Got Night Stands/ Please vote on lamps

Q

Comments (34)
    I folks. I haven't had a time to catch up with forum reading today. DH and I are on vacation in Charleston! What a beautiful city. I can't stay on the computer long, but I wanted to thank everyone for the great lamp suggestions. Nanny2a - I love that lamp! That just might be a winner, although it is more than I wanted to pay. So what do you guys thing of that one? Does it have a cottagey feel? I am through trying to match the one in the inspiration picture, but do want to stay with the feel of the room. I saw an alabaster lamp at Homegoods a few days ago. I'm going to look at it again when I get home. I know the shade was awful, but I could change that. My3Dogs, I want to take another look at the marble ones you found. I can't use the brass lamp I have, 'cause I only have one. Mom2Reese - that red lamp has a pretty shape, and I might end up having to paint, but I'm hoping to find one ready to plug in. Kimberly - here is a link to some of the pictures. There are other pictures of it on another sight. I can give those to you once I get home. Or google Carolina Jessamine Cottage Here is a link that might be useful: Cottage Link
    ...See More

Night stands for Guest Bedroom

Q

Comments (6)
    We moved out and turned our home over to the floor guys and painters these past two weeks which is why I haven't responded to the request for pictures. I traveled back yesterday to check in and I am so pleased with the floors! But there is nothing much yet to photograph - an empty square room with 2 large windows being painted white on white;) This summer has been a time of "hurry up, then wait" with the home remodel, and I was hoping I could hunt down some night stands during this down time. I'm really not sure of what styles and colors would be best. The ideal would be to just keep an eye open until I came upon the right ones. But we'll have guests staying in that room for 2 wks. in November, so I need to find something sooner than later. This post was edited by amck on Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 18:52
    ...See More

Recommendations for tall/somewhat narrow night stands?

Q

Comments (5)
    Do you have a Pier 1 store near you? I'd order the smaller one (if it's not in the store) and then see how it looks next to your bed. Easy peasy return to the store. Also, maybe check Ikea? Not just nightstands, but also chest/storage/etc. Again, there is an Ikea store nearby for easy returns for me.
    ...See More
  • mclarke
    14 years ago

Excellent advice, camlan!

I would also add, in the case of nightstands, form really needs to follow function.

When I saw the metal tables in your inspiration pic, I though, well, those look good in the photo, but they wouldn't work well in real life.

Just my opinion, but I don't want a bedside table that has hard, sharp, metal edges. Imagine bumping into it with your arm, in the night, when you're asleep... or, god forbid, your head.

Also, I'm a firm believer that a bedside table needs a drawer. I hate having stuff piled up on the table next to the bed.

• artlover13060
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Camlan, thanks for the great analysis of the inspiration room. The only reason I was thinking of the fabric covered tables was because they would be so inexpensive, but I'm not doing them, I'll keep looking for something more open and streamline. I am definitely getting taller tables! The one that you see in my current bedroom was mine from childhood. I'll move it somewhere. It is really short.

Mclarke, you made a good point about sharp metal edges and a drawer. I'd love to find something with a shelf at the bottom for books and magazines.

• bronwynsmom
    14 years ago

I would invest in a pair of good quality swing-arm lamps to mount to the wall and free that table surface, since it is small to begin with. I've linked one that is simple and modern, with a drum shade like the ones in your inspiration picture.

And you can do fabric covered side tables...just make them square or rectangular, with tailored covers and glass tops.

I would find two small, inexpensive unfinished or secondhand wood bookcases or side tables a bit smaller than you want the table to be. Have rectangles cut to your specs at the home center, which you will screw to the bases, and glass tops to go on top of the cloth.

Make the cloth the same way you would make a tailored bedskirt, cutting one piece for the top so that you can run cording in the seam around the top edge, into which the glass nestles...keeps it from sliding around. Pale fabric and black cording would approximate the look of your inspiration room.

Make each side a separate panel, and add enough length (horizontally) to make an inverted box pleat at the front corner. I'd add 14", to give you four inches both ways around the corner, and 2" to wrap around the back corner. Since they will stay against the wall, you don't have to make pleats or a panel for the back at all. Then make the front panel separate, so that you can hide stuff under there, and get to it by just lifting that front panel.

Buy a pretty covered basket or wooden box for each table, for the things you absolutely have to have in the now nonexistent top drawer, and you're set.
    (In my house, that would also give the cats another place to go to ground during thunderstorms...)

Here is a link that might be useful: swing arm lamp

• saltnpeppa
    14 years ago

Maybe this will help as a visual ..... is this what your talking about Bronwynsmom - but smaller?

Artlover, I used to have that same RL bedspread - washed it so much it got holes in it!! I still love that pattern! It hid alot of dog hair:)

Gosh, I just love that bed! Are you getting the bed?

Smiles:)

• bronwynsmom
    14 years ago

Yes, scoobyruby, that's exactly what I mean, but without the front pleat, and smaller, as you noted.
    Thank you!

• megsy
    14 years ago

I second the swing-arm lamps. They not only free up the table top but I love being able to move them.

• artlover13060
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bronwynsmom - thank you so much for the detailed directions on making a fitted square table cover. I have been toying with that idea, but you make me think it might look pretty nice. I don't know about the swing arm lamps. I had some on either side of this bed once and hated them, but maybe that was because they were CHEAP shiny brass with pleated shades. YUK! Megsy, you made a good point on the advantage of moving them. DH would love that! We both like to read in bed.

I wouldn't miss a drawer in the night stand. Those cabinets are full of 20 years of junk, and not useable anyway. I should be ashamed.

Scoobyruby - no kidding about the bedspread. I'm down to two cats who nap on it during the day. At one point I had a black, a white, a tortoise shell, and a red! I've had it for years. I've only been married to DH for 3 years and the spread predates him. He hates it and will be very glad to see it go. He hates paisleys of any kind. He says they look like ameba.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

artlover, the first thing I noticed about your current bed is it's height. I think you need to buy some risers in order to imitate your inspiration photo. I love that room!
    As for night stands I'm wondering if you have the tools to make a simple tall legged table with a shelf? Something like pictured at the link below without the details though?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

I second the suggestion about the swing arm lamps mounted on the wall for each side of the bed. This is what we have in our master bedroom because we both read in bed and prefer the light at this angle. It's also great because it frees up space on the nightstands so they don't look too cluttered. Remember also, if you do a table or ledge with a fitted cover, you can always store essentials in a basket that would hide behind the table cover, too!

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Here are some metal/metal wood minimal tables from Room and Board:
    Slim, which is probably the right size,($169)
    {{!gwi}}

And one of their Parsons Tables that are available in multiple sizes with multiple tops: ($300-400)

{{!gwi}}

You could probably also find something in the parsons influenced tables from WestElm CB2 or IKEA

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I have also seen woodgrain wallpaper and some of the woodgrain Contact papers come in light tones.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Here is an Expedit piece from IKEA that is simple like the inspiration piece.

{{!gwi}}

• redbazel
    14 years ago

Check your local craigslist to see what is out there. Or look at some open rattan end tables or nightstands, something nice and narrow to better fit your space. The wall-mounted swing arms would be nice, but they do require hard-wiring. I usually check TJMaxx, Marshalls, and HomeGoods when I am looking for stuff that is nice, yet inexpensive. Garage sales and craigslist can also be great for redoing a room on a tight budget. Are you going with matelasse bedding similar to the spread on the inspiration bed? That room is very cool looking.

Red

• saltnpeppa
    14 years ago

Artlover, lots of good options for nightstands given to you here!!

Since we discussed the comforter re: pet fur - I was gonna tell you some years back I switched to a cream matelasse - best decision - ever!! It is so easy to pop that thing in the W/D for a quick clean up & mine is done probably once every 2 weeks - due to dogs or my child (or multiples) eating mint chocolate chip ice cream!!

Burlap would be a good way to copy the natural feel of that room for the bedskirt on the cheap. Maybe even find some natural looking fringe & let the kitties have some fun:)

Smiles:)

• bronwynsmom
    14 years ago

Actually, there are lots and lots of swing-arm lamps that don't require hard wiring. The good ones come with matching cord covers, and look wonderful.
    There are some really beautiful ones around...if you spend about $100 each, you can get something well-made and attractive, not at all like the cheapo ones...I know about those, too, and agree that they are not pretty, and are exasperating to use, as they never swing easily, and tend to be wonky at rest, with their little arms sagging every which way.
    I actually found one I though would be fabulous in your scheme, but it costs almost $400 (and more from some sources. I'll show you anyway, just to prove the point of variety! The link is to the actual lamp I loved for you...

Go to this site for the full array from this one company, which has a rather vast selection, to get a fuller sense of it.
    http://www.lampsplus.com/Products/s_swing/

Here is a link that might be useful: Fabulous spendy lamp

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I found the headboard online in stained and painted versions for $950-1000.

You could probably easily paint a couple birds in silhouette perched on the headboard, if you painted the existing mural.

Check out this site if you wanted to create the faux bois wall behind the headboard.

Here is a link that might be useful: Design your wall -woodgrain contact paper

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Red (Hi!) mentioned swing are lamps having to be hardwired, but they do make many that can be plugged in. They either come with or you can buy metal cord covers that attach to the wall. Check the lamp linked below from Overstock for only $29.99......

Here is a link that might be useful: Nickel wall swing arm lamp Overstock

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    14 years ago

Another interesting swing arm lamp with a drum shade for $39.00. Two are available.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here on eBay

• artlover13060
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions for night stands. I agree that I need something streamlined to stay with the feel of the room. I appreciate all of your research and will check out all of these.

Bronwynsmom - that is a classy light but I had to LOL at the price. The budget for my entire room isn't as much as two of those lamps!

Red - I am matching the bedding pretty closely. I ordered an inexpensive off white quilt from Overstock and made striped bedskirt and shams. My big fabric splurge was a yard of that swirly fabric to make two box pillows.

Scoobyruby, I hope the quilt I bought is as washable as the matelasse.

Justgotabeme - I wish I had thought of elevating the bed before making the bedskirt, but it's too late now. Actually my bed isn't all that low. I think it looks lower because it is so wide.

Palimpest - I'm not trying to match the walls in the room, although they are very cool, as are the rolling barn style doors. That's a cool idea about the bird silhouettes. I am painting over the mural but I'm keeping the blue walls. The stripe I used for the bedskirt and shams is blue, brown, cream and green.

I hope to capture the feel of the room with bedding and accessories. I'm replacing the 2" white wood blinds with bamboo roman shades and making linen drapery panels. Actually the panels in the cottage are burlap, but that's a little too rustic for my taste. Since I can't buy the hand carved headboard I would like to find carved wooden birds to decorate my hutch style dresser. I'm
    also going to try to make the rustic sunburst mirror over the chest of drawers.

More pictures from the inspiration room:

Dresser in anteroom:
    {{!gwi}}

Close up of mirror:
    {{!gwi}}

Close up of burlap and swirly fabric drapery panels:
    {{!gwi}}

Note bird painting:
    {{!gwi}}

Here's one piece of art I've completed for my room:
    {{!gwi}}

My hutch dresser. Plan to add bird carvings to shelves. Vine is coming down! Table on the left is on its way to the attic and I will replace the chair with something nicer, however must be a chair since DH uses it to put on his shoes every morning:

{{!gwi}}

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Here's some wooden birds. Some of them are inexpensive enough you could paint over them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bird carvings

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Your bird art is perfect artlover! You did an awesome job. Have you thought about looking for little wooden birds to add to the bedposts and a couple on the headboard with double ended screws?
    And for the mirror. Either buy furring strips or pick up a few paint stirs every time you stop at a paint department or store. You should be able to find a round mirror in a craft store along with some a craft paint kit for patina copper. At least that's what the finish looks like to me.

• cliff_and_joann
    14 years ago

artlover, I love your end tables as is. I can see why you think they're to big, but that wouldn't bother me. I would build up the top with a flat piece of wood the same dimensions as the night stand tops, and put them on four little feet. You could pick up a few inches in height, and have room underneath for magazines...It's just a thought.
    Love your bird art.
    Joann

• artlover13060
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the compliments about the bird art. I rescued an old Audobon book that my mom was discarding. The brid is a scan from the book.

Justgotabeme - that's a good idea about adding the birds to my headboard, although I would have to find a way to do it without putting holes in the headboard. I'm having trouble finding birds that are simple in design like the ones on the original bed. I might be able to twist DS's arm and get him to carve some for me. I don't know if he's ever tried it but he carves spoons.

Joann - unfortunately I only have one of the night stands you see in the picture. On the other side of the bed is a larger closed cab. that used to be in my FR. I *need* a night stand in DD's room, so the small one will go in there.

• bronwynsmom
    14 years ago

Chiming in again...

I feel the need to suggest that you back up a little from the specific elements you are considering to analyze the differences between what you have now, and your inspiration room.

The inspiration room is light, spare, and disciplined in its uses of color and ornament. The texture comes from the walls and the carpet. The movement and life are supplied by the headboard and the patterns on the pillows. The underlying structure is in the nightstands and the symmetry of their shape and furnishings, the simple horizontal and vertical lines of the gray shades and drapery, the stripe in the bedskirt, and the vertical panels of the walls. The color is balanced deliberately between light, dark and mid-tones...the background of walls and floor are light, and the darker tones punctuate but don't dominate.

So. You are already working with basic major elements that are darker and heavier than what is in your inspiration room. As you make your choices, I would encourage you to think about the use of balance, symmetry, texture, color, background, and punctuation...how do you balance the dark pieces; how do you create symmetry around your bed; how do you establish the base, and then what elements do you add, and how, so that you don't end up with an assembling of motifs and elements, and yet miss the mark on creating the environment you are after.

Lecture over. Now go out and play... :>)

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I agree with Bronwynsmom in that you have to decide what is inspiring you in the inspiration room. Although the bird headboard is the icing on the cake of that room, if you took the birds away, the spirit of the room is still the same. That specific headboard itself could appear in 10 different rooms ten different ways.

The inspiration room is an interplay between a large mass (the bed) and negative spaces (spare windows doorways and bedside tables) and light and dark.

Or is it the motifs/individual elements that inspire you? That would be a different dirction for the room. If you are inspired by elements, you could end up with a room that is still quite nice, but completely different than the inspiration.

Inspiration can be an interesting thing: I have had clients show me rooms they "loved" only to determine that they disliked many things about it except one key element. And that element was so important in their visualization that they screened out everything else. So, what is it about the room that inspires you? What elements are not important? These are things to think about.

• artlover13060
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bronwynsmom and Palimpest - I have given quite a lot of thought to this room and how I am going to capture the feel of the inspiration room while tempering it to look appropriate in a colonial house in the suburbs. I know exactly what I have planned for all aspects of the room. Keep in mind that my original post was asking specifically about the night stands. Camlan's post analyzing the contrasts in the room were right on target and have convinced me that the night stands should be simple, open and straight lined. I have gotten a lot of great suggestions for night stands which I really appreciate. The only reason I mentioned any of the other elements was because several people showed an interest.

• artlover13060
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bronwynsmom and Palimpest - I have given quite a lot of thought to this room and how I am going to capture the feel of the inspiration room while tempering it to look appropriate in a colonial house in the suburbs. I know exactly what I have planned for all aspects of the room. Keep in mind that my original post was asking specifically about the night stands. Camlan's post analyzing the contrasts in the room were right on target and have convinced me that the night stands should be simple, open and straight lined. I have gotten a lot of great suggestions for night stands which I really appreciate. The only reason I mentioned any of the other elements was because several people showed an interest.

• artlover13060
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry about the double post! I don't know how that happened.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I didn't mean to sound bossy. You did really only ask about nightstands :)The way the thread was evolving just got me to thinking about design process.

• cliff_and_joann
    14 years ago

Oh, I see...I thought you had two stands.
    Then I really love what mclark posted...how tall is that stand.
    It's very pretty, slim and elegant and functional too, with the drawer and bottom shelf.

• bronwynsmom
    14 years ago

Whoops.
    I got carried away.
    You did ask about the night stands, and I read all the other posts, and overreacted! Of course you have thought it through. You always do.
    Imagine me doing a sweeping bow, and backing off the stage!

How about some nice tailored cloth covers...? :>)

• artlover13060
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Palimpest and Bronwynsmom - after I got over being annoyed by your post I thought about what you said and you both made some good observations. Your comments plus the thread on making a dark BR look lighter has given me a little more to think about.

Now on to the quest of finding night stands and lamps!

• bronwynsmom
    14 years ago

Thank you, my dear...but being helpful doesn't absolve one of being annoying, and you were quite right to point out the boundary of what you were actually asking. I'm happily anticipating seeing your result!

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Artlover, I almost chimed in about Bronwynsmom and Palimpest's post because for me an inspiration, whether a single item or room photo, often has very little to the outcome of "my" room. Rooms in our home may be inspired by, but never copies of someone elses work.
    With the shows on HGTV like Sensible Chic we often think of copying a room as closely as we can. That's not always the case. Never the case for me.
    Although I can understand where B and P were coming from, I also understand the concept of being "inspired by", but not wanting the whole shabang.
    So no one is right on wrong here. We just didn't all look at your "plan" from the same point of view. And that's not bad. Viva la difference.......