SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mommabird_gw

Loft on bedroom for long size bed?

mommabird
11 years ago

My bed takes up 3/4 of my bedroom. There is also a chest, dresser and desk. I work at home and don't have space or a room for an office, so the desk in my bedroom is my 'office.' I can barely walk through the room.

I have been toying with the idea if building a loft in my room to elevate the bed. Then my office could be under it. I had a twin loft in college many years ago and have been thinking about how much it 'expanded' my dorm room.

I've seen many online sites with pictures of how people have built really stylish lofts that don't look dorm like.

My concern is that my house only has 8' ceilings. I am 6' tall. That only gives me 2' of loft space. I have a very thick mattress - at least 18". I think I'd have to make the loft lover to the floor, which would mean I'd have to stoop over to wall under it.

Any creative ideas? Don't suggest a smaller bed. I invested a ton of $ in my mattress (due to back issues) and it is very comfy. It has taken me many mattresses bought over many years to find one that doesn't hurt my back & I don't want to change it.

Comments (4)