SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mym2222

2cm granite with plywood countertop from China

mym2222
15 years ago

I am seriously looking to get granite for my kitchen and master bathroom counter top.

While I was at a shop this afternoon getting a bid, this customer whom had her kitchen countertop installed from this shop a month ago came in and asked why there is dark stain around her faucet. That prompted me to do more search online to see if this is a common problem with granite. I then stumbled onto this findstone.com website and the questions and answers posted just made me leery about granite. It also made me feel lost to what to do?

Very often when people asked if their choice of granite is good, the majority answer this website gives is:

[As for the granite, let me tell you which one is my very favorite: a good fabricator!

I hope you will understand the true meaning of what Im about to say. It appears to me that like most other inquirers at this stage you seem mostly interested in the type of "granite" and/or its physical characteristics. ItÂs human nature at work, I reckon! :-) How about if I tell you that a certain stone is a good choice and then you get a low-grade slab? Trust me: the human factor is far more important than the stone itself and should be the only true deciding factor!

In an industry thatÂs virtually unregulated, how good and reputable the fabricator whoÂs is going to process the stone youÂll end up choosing is far more important than the stone itself. None of the horror stories that get posted in this very site stem from the stone itself: they all stem from the fabricator. That is why I seldom make final statements about any one particular stone. There may be differences within the same stone (and IÂm not talking about looks, here!) from one bundle of slabs and the next. The slabs may have also been either "doctored" (which is bad), or "resined" (which could be good, but only to a certain extent) by the factory, which would make a big difference. Even more important, whatÂs a good stone in the hands of some "Michelangelo"?! And again: a reputable fabricator will only carry high-grade slabs, not some "special!]

Anyone heard of this website? Is this place reputable? It seems it is a insightful place that offers a lot of information on stones, solutions, and listed some of the nightmares people have with their countertop, i.e. cracks showing up a year or two later, unable to get rid of stains, or color changed.But then it turns around and offer a service that charge $100 for bids from companies.

The two places I went this afternoon offered pre-fabricated 2cm granite on plywood, then glue pieces along the edges to give it a thicker look. If the fabricator is the KEY to a good reliable granite than I should not return to these two shops?!!

BTW, based on that website the few colors of granite I like, yes, the 'human factor' at work here, are NOT good

- Santa Cecilia "granite" is thatÂs extremely difficult to find good-grade slabs and nobody will ever give you a "special price" on those! The "special" ones are typically heavily doctored and will soon show pits and lose grit.

- Kashmir White is an extremely porous material. Select another material for your kitchen counters.

- Cashmere Gold - is orthogneiss: a far cry from granite, since itÂs not even an igneous rock, but a metamorphed sedimentary stone  is indeed more fragile. All the more reason to make sure that all the weaker spots are properly rodded.

My questions:

1. What choices of granite are there that are light in color?

2. How do I go about finding a reputable fabricator that does not charge an arm and a leg for it in Atlanta area?

3. How many grades of granite are there?

4. How to tell if one piece of granite is lower grade than another?

5. Is there a list of 'true' granite names, and whether it needs sealing?

6. Is it bad for one to end up choosing a 'non-granite' stone?

Comments (4)