SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beschenbach_gw

Which layout do you prefer?

beschenbach
15 years ago

After posting about my island seating, I got a lot of great feedback about tweaking my layout (special shout out to Cheriyl!) I've played with my layout and am attaching both of them for you experts to see what you think. I've tried to make sense of them by listing out advantages and disadvantages that I can see (but I could be wrong in many of my assumptions) so this is where I call for my plea of help from all your experience.

A little about me: busy momma of 4 little kids aged 1, 4, 6, 8 that likes to cook with them, do crafts, etc. Not a huge complicated chef, but do like family time and all 6 of us are often together hanging out.

Scheme A advantages:

a) Refrigerator stays on back wall a bit more hidden from main line of sight. Also it isn't so close to the oven in a sea of stainless steel on that part of the L in the layout.

b) Refrigerator more accessible from kitchen eat in table

c) More direct line of entry from garage through mudroom into kitchen

Scheme B disatvantages:

a) Nearly impossible to get the barstool seating that I really desire in the island unless I shrink the depth of the island.

b) barrier island between sink & refrigerator

Scheme B advantages:

a) Better clearance between island and wall behind it since I can do either 12" or 15" (or even 18"?) cabinets

b) entry into the refrigerator not as clumbsy with barstool people

c) no barrier island issue

Scheme B disadvantages:

a) The oven/refrigerator wall is a main focal point (one of first thing people see) and it's a bit ugly with all those appliances so front & center. I do have an OTR microwave, and not sure there is anywhere else to really put the microwave (suggestions are welcome!)

b) not much counter space to work between the oven & refrigerator (I think 15" is the max I could squeeze in there?)

c) Line of entry from the garage into mudroom/kitchen jogs a bit (will I notice?)

SCHEME A:

SCHEME B:

Comments (11)