SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maperlman76

1950s Ranch Kitchen Layout Help

mperlman
11 years ago

Hi,

I'm very new to this forum. It's awesome that there's such an amazing resource available. Sorry in advance for the lengthy post.

My wife and I are in the process of buying a 1950s ranch. The house is great, unfortunately the kitchen doesn't look like it's been touched since the 1980s. Our plan is to renovate the kitchen before we move in and we're looking for any and all input.

We haven't started working with a designer yet.

The picture below is the overall floorplan of the house. The kitchen is approximately 13'x14'. It's the room below and to the left of the porch on the back (right side) of the house. Sorry the picture doesn't have more detail, but this is all we have before we close and take possession. For what it's worth, the picture is to scale. We also have several measurements not depicted on the drawing, so definitely ask if more information is required.

Here are the answers to the recommended questions.

Why: update mediocre cabinets and countertops that are starting to have problems (e.g., cabinet drawers are sticking). Also, we want a more functional layout.

Who: me, my wife and our 2 year old son. My wife does most of the cooking and cleanup. She's left handed. As our son gets older, I plan to start helping with both cooking and cleaning again.

We currently only use the kitchen for cooking and cleaning. As our son gets older I suspect he'll start doing homework and other activities in or near the kitchen. The house has both a dining room (above the kitchen in the picture) and an eating area (below the kitchen in the pIcture). Our plan is to use the DR as our primary eating area. Also there is open basement with all the major mechanicals directly below the kitchen.

We do not currently entertain very much.

We like the current flow of the house and don't plan to make any layout changes or open up or close any areas. However, we are willing to make minor mods if they will significantly improve the functionality of the kitchen. We both think an island will be necessary to complete the kitchen.

Appliances: we'd like a separate cooktop and wall oven. We frequently use a toaster, blender and food processors (both large and small). Less frequently we use a crockpot, stand mixer and tea maker. A few times a year we use an electric roaster.

We look forward to your feedback and ideas!

Comments (7)