SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quesera1970_gw

re-sheathing stucco house ?s

quesera1970
10 years ago

Hi everyone,
We have a 1920s stucco house that needs some serious stucco work--some cracks, but mostly where the house has been added onto in the 1980s, a porch roof removed in the 1990s and badly restuccoed (its all lumpy) or a bunch of windows partly filled in just recently during our current reno (filled in with mortar, but not covered with anything yet). We had hoped to patch over these parts of the stucco and then repaint the house but the first stucco guy to look at the house told me that it would be very hard to patch over these patches and recommended re-sheathing the house with what is essentially a top coat of Dryvit (he would fix cracks, build up the lumpy wall, put fiberglass mesh all around the house and put a top coat of new dryvit on) and not put paint on at all.
My questions are--well, what kind of questions should I be asking? Should I be avoiding a dryvit top coat over a stucco base? has anyone heard of this technique? what else do I need to know about stucco repair? The areas to repair are quite extensive, on 3 of 4 walls of the house, but mostly surface (e.g., no internal moisture problems, etc).
Also, is there a general per square foot rate/range for this kind of work? I am soliciting a few more bids, but there are not a ton of companies that seem to specialize in stucco, even though there are a lot of older/20s stucco houses where we live (Washington DC).
Thanks!

Comments (3)