SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
breezygirl_gw

MOVING kitchen instead of reno in place plans

breezygirl
13 years ago

I've been posting layout for our new kitchen on the Kitchen Forum since early in the year trying to get this kitchen right. With comments there, I've gotten to a decent plan. I posted this over there, but thought I would do so here also as I've heard about the experts hanging out on this forum.

Details: Forever house. I'm the main cook, but DH dabbles and helps plate the kids meals. Kids are now 13 months and 5 y.o. (Boy, when we started this baby was 3 months.) We will need homework and friend space for them in the future. We have lots of large gatherings both informal and formal where I cook everything. Cooking is one of my passions. I need two ovens and at least 36" of cooktop space. I also need area for guests to help me prep as "potluck" is a dirty word in my house.

The kitchen reno is part of a larger house project. We planned originally to keep the kitchen in the same location it is now, but with a 2' wide x 14.5' long bumpout to increase kitchen space. We've struggled to find a layout that gives us enough space for everything. With all of the interesting ideas from my last layout post, I made some changes. Here's my current layout idea with the whole living area we're calling Plan A.

Here's a close up of the sink wall with cabinet arrangement. Forgive the lightness...you get the idea.(Scale is different here 2 sqs = 1 foot.)

Now we are revisiting the idea of moving the kitchen within the house based on many comments from my last layout post. Since the whole main part of the house you see on the drawing is gutted now, anything is possible. We're open to moving/replacing windows and the slider to the deck/backyard.

The family room now is positioned at the front of the house near the front door. You cannot see anyone approaching the front door until they are staring in that 8' window at you. We don't like this. My thinking has always been that the more private, family-oriented spaces should be more in the back of a house. We're on a cul-de-sac with the garage in front of the house so I can see why they built in the way they did. Coming in from the garage, you enter the family space.

The see-through gas fireplace you see can be adjusted if necessary, but we'd like to have it as a separation between the living spaces. I already knew I didn't want an open "great room" concept, especially after the recent thread about open vs. closed kitchens. ;) I experimented with different layouts trying to see if we could utilize the space we'd plan for the bumpout to make the kitchen more functional. (Cantilevered bumpout has cement supports already poured.) I'm not sure the bumpout would help the kitchen in the new location.

In this drawing called Plan B, the kitchen is now in the old dining room, and the family room and living rooms swap places. The kitchen and family room move to a more private part of the house with a better view. The biggest positive for moving the kitchen is I get a bigger, better kitchen. The biggest negative is that the family room becomes a smaller space. We had a banquette in our old kitchen and absolutely loved it. Guests fought to sit on it. I'm still trying to work one into the new kitchen.

So...what do you think?? Plan A or Plan B?

Comments (6)