SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katsmah

Please help me finish my bedroom

katsmah
14 years ago

Two weeks ago my daughter and I ripped out my old bedroom carpet and painted the walls a soft yellow. We (she mostly) put down a pergo floor which looks 1000% better than what was there. Now I'm stuck.

My furniture is 1940's Mahogony that I inherited from my parents. Unfortunately the headboard was ruined when my parents had it in storage. My daughter wants to make a headboard for me, but I don't have a clue what color fabric would look good. I need new curtains/window treatments, but I just put up the old ones because I needed something on the windows. The walls are only 7' tall sloping down to a little over 6' tall which makes curtain buying difficult. I need new lamps and a couple of small area rugs.

I would like to add some other color, but nothing too bold. Ignore the desk under the window, its only there temporarily.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (25)

• groomingal
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What a sweet daughter you have, she did a great job on the floors!

What colors do you like? I love the pale yellow and the furniture set is very pretty.

If it were mine I think I would use pale blue and white. Roman shades with those colors in a calico pattern. White chenille bedspread or all white bedding with a blue floral quilt folded at the end. Accent pillow with your initials embroidered in navy blue. But thats if it were my room :)

How about instead of a headboard how about a crown canopy? You could drape the fabric and put some wall sconces near the bed or some pictures or you can do the full fabric.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• oceanna
    14 years ago

Congratulations on your lovely new floor! Your daughter is a sweetie to do that for you. I love antiques, so I love your bedroom furniture.

Are you planning to put any throw rugs on the floor? If so, I'd get those next and use the colors in them in the rest of your accessories, and in your curtains.

Two threads in our gallery strike me as something you might like for inspiration. The first is the bedrooms thread, and the other is the cottage decor thread. Have you looked at them? Close this post and click on the gallery link at the bottom of the page. When you get over there, you can do a search for them. Don't miss browsing the other threads while you're there!

• Related Discussions

Please help me choose a dresser for my master bedroom

Q

Comments (4)
    I like the gray one, but think you need to get some color and plushness into the room. Have you found a rug?
    ...See More

Please help me spruce up my bedroom decor!

Q

Comments (4)
    I do think you have too much that matches. For art, I'd get what you love and not worry about whether it's the same size or "coordinates" or anything else. You might do a small gallery wall on one side (including one or two 3-dimensional pieces), and a large image (canvas or framed) on the other. But whatever you decide, don't go out and look for "art." Look for what you love; maybe you already have it! I'd replace at least one of the lamps with something different since the nightstands appear to be the same. (Again, something you love.) If it's you and your partner you can each decorate or keep on your nightstand what works for you be it a plant, pictures, water pitcher, books, reading glasses, etc. These should be your individual islands that work for you and less a "decorating surface." If the colors work for you, great! But I find them dull and uninteresting. (That said, I despise browns and beiges and grays so take my advice for what it is worth.) What colors turn you on? Use some of them in wallpaper, paint, curtains, pillows, comforter.
    ...See More

Help me finish my coastal bedroom,please! Flo, Beth H., HIWE?

Q

Comments (25)
    This is the beginnings of a very beautiful room! That bed is absolutely stunning! I find your blue coverlet is clashing with the teal of the bed. Because the bed is the star of this room, I would use all white linens on the bed and use the blue coverlet across the bottom of the bed. The patchwork quilt I would fold and just have sitting on the bench at the base of the bed. If you have a bench, by the way, don't do the ottoman for the chair. For your ceiling light and table lamp, go with a style more current and not "pretty". And that's the same with other decor in this room. All your major elements of this room are already "pretty", if you add more "pretty" it will start to look sickingly sweet. Replace the ruffled pillow on the chair with something less "pretty". I would go with a plain cream upholstered bench to match your dresser and night stand. Let the bed be the star. Instead of the beige paint, I would love to see a very very soft blue or pearl grey.
    ...See More

please help me style my new construction master bedroom!

Q

Comments (5)
    These are some pieces I had saved as inspiration, I think this is the look I am going for like a distressed white paint with a natural wood top. I was thinking a wide chest of drawers On the bigger wall leading to the walk-in closet, with the TV on top of that. I hate exposed TVs but idk what other choice I have. (TV is for my spouse). Then in the smaller wall leading to the walk in, I was debating a taller chest of drawers, or perhaps the vanity angled in the corner and a lingerie chest type set of drawers next to it for my make up? I currently am using an IKEA Alex drawer set for my make up and perfume and it’s very functional but I want to replace it with something that matches better. Or, I was thinking of angling the vanity and one of the back corners? Not sure if that would work though. I was picturing nightstands below the window but still on the hunt for these as I want them to look a little different than the rest of the furniture, still matching but not identical. Perhaps a white weathered wood with a mirrored top?
    ...See More
  • ttodd
    14 years ago

First off what a great job on the flr.!

Second - phenomenal furniture!

Third - is the headboard anything that could be salvaged through refinshing and repair if req.?

Fourth - my first question was also what colors are you drawn to? My initial thought was also a pale blue and white.

• saltnpeppa
    14 years ago

You and your daughter did a great job....the floors look great and the wall color looks beautiful with your furniture.

What are your favorite colors? The soft yellow you have now will work with alot of different colors...you already have my fave starting point for a bed - a matelasse cover. You could pull in blues as mentioned - do french country with cornflower blue, green & red - gardeny with greens and creams - keep it simple with a buffalo check of yellow and cream.

I love the idea of an upholstered headboard.

I could see roman shades on your windows - maybe like a london shade.
    {{gwi:1739290}}

Do you have any fabric stores around?

Smiles:)

• graywings123
    14 years ago

I know you are looking for a change, but I just wanted to say that I like the freshness and simplicity of what you have now on the windows. I am thinking about doing the same thing.

A fabric headboard will be wonderful in there. As for what color to choose, I would love to see some blue in that room.

• saltnpeppa
    14 years ago

And swing arm lamps might give you more room on your nightstands.

• katsmah
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the replies and suggestions!

I am thrilled with how the floor came out, it is so much better than the 15 year old carpeting that had been christened by almost every furry member of my family over the years. I owe my daughter big time for her efforts.

To answer your questions:

The headboard is long gone. Because it was only double width my parents had put it in their crawlspace for storage and one spring the crawlspace flooded. By the time they found it, the piece had severe water damage so it was thrown out. I've occasionally looked at possibly getting a brass or iron bed, but none seem to fit the furniture. I recently saw this bed in Macy's
    http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=314838&CategoryID=35526&LinkLoc=29391&LinkType=SiteAd&AdID=505382 and really like it, but I'm not sure it would look good with the rest of the set. For years I had a large picture over the bed, but it doesn't go with the colors of the room anymore. I also like the look of the crown canopy, I never would have thought of something like that. My daughter came up with the idea of making a headboard for me, but I have to come up with a fabric. the crown canopy may be a lot easier than making a headboard.

We had been thinking of using blue, and thats where I get stuck. Which blue would be best. I was actually hanging various blue tee shirts on hooks next to the windowns to try to find a blue that would look good. The darker blues just looked overwhelming. I like the cornflower blue. DD was leaning towards Tiffany Blue. The paint appears to have a grey base, the floor and furniture are red. And then I get stuck. I think a greyer blue would look the best with the wall color, but would it clash with the red in the furniture? We spent a few hours at a fabric store and left with nothing.

I had been thinking of a roman shade with a sheer scarf, but I guess they are not in style anymore because I'm having a difficult time finding them in the size I would need.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

I know that the blue/yellow combo is always considered to be a 'natch but with the white woodwork it might make the room seem too cottage-y for the sophisticated furniture.

Right now the only 'brown' is in the furniture and I would add more browns to the room so that the individual pieces do not just jump out, but blend in more in a cohesive manner. I would also add other tones of the yellow in browned out versions. You don't want just 'yellow walls' but you don't want to bring in any more bright yellow into this room either.

As for the accent color I think that a very browned out violet could pull it all together. Violet and yellow are opposite and the reddish brown of the wood in the room would go with it. It would still add that 'pop' of color to the room. Keep the design simple and sophisticated and use a design that has an element of nature to it - leaves, shells, birds, ect.

I found a photo that shows better what I am trying to say. Picture this bedding with your yellow walls and wood flooring:

{{gwi:1739292}}

OK, now I know that this is not what you are asking, so feel free to say "Pffft" to my suggestion, but I would switch the furniture arrangement in the room.

Can you put the bed (with it's new fabric headboard that you are getting) between the windows? A bed looks best in the room if you see it from an angle when you walk into the room, and see the dramatic headboard right away. Then put the mirrored dresser across from it on the wall where the bed is now. Then put that big tall chest of drawers to the left of the mirrored dresser, in the corner on an angle, with more weight on the window wall than the wall with the mirrored dresser. This will allow a clear pathway from the entrance to the room, to the closet. I would try to pare down the furniture to eliminate the little chest of drawers that now sits in the corner but if you truly do need the other little chest of drawers for storage, put it on the wall where the large chest of drawers now sits. The smaller one will be easier to shimmy around than the big one that is there now.

I would put the two night stands in storage for now. They are so small they do not seem to hold what you need and look cramped and cluttered yet at the same time look bulky and boxy. I would get a pedestal table for next to the bed to hold a lamp and phones and books. Being on legs would make it appear more delicate than the ones you have now, and with a small bedroom having furniture on feet or legs can make the whole room seem lighter and airier. Get one with a drawer for stuff you need to keep out of view. Of course you could still use one of the ones you have now, if they are matching to your set, and you do not wish to purchase a different one.

The chair can go in the corner where the little chest is now, to the left of the single window.

I would get outside mount with valance, Romans for all the windows in a sophisticated fabric and not get things too fussy with scarves and tassels, to distract from the beautiful vintage bedroom set.

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

Here's a killer roman shade to die for IMO.

{{gwi:1739294}}

• suero
    14 years ago

I can see ceiling to floor length panels at the side of each window and either a fabric headboard or similar panels behind the bed. I like this fabric, because it echoes the frame of your mirror.

{{gwi:1739281}}

It's available in other colorways - click the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thibaut

• katsmah
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dilly dally, thank you for your ideas. I had wondered if brown or a blue/brown combo would look good with the room. ....sigh... It shouldn't be this hard.

I agree with you about changing the layout of the room with the bed placed between the window and had spoken to my daughter about doing that. But... that is the north wall of my house and the wall insulation isn't up to what it would be in new houses. As much as it may look nice, I think I would freeze against that wall in the winter. The chest in the corner is a very close match to the set, but actually started life as my grandparents first TV cabinet. It fits my 20" TV set perfectly so it needs to stay in the room.

Seuro, thank you for that site. I'm not sure about that print - I actually don't have any prints in my house - but they do have some nice prints. I will pass that site to my daughter and see what she thinks of them.

• folkvictorian
    14 years ago

Katsmah - when your daughter makes a headboard for your bed, I think it would be gorgeous if she could use the shape of the dresser mirror that you've got.

You could put some heavy cardboard behind the mirror and trace its shape, and then move the cardboard over to where the headboard goes and see how much bigger it would need to be in order to fit the bed. To enlarge it, you could then cut the cardboard template down the middle from top to bottom. Split the two pieces and leave an empty spot in the middle while you align the two outside edges with the bed frame. (Is this making sense? lol) Then make a filler piece for the middle and use this new, bigger template for your headboard.

I can picture a fabric-covered headboard in that beautiful shape with tufting and buttons, like a Chesterfield sofa back. It would be gorgeous with Dilly Dally's new bedside tables!

• amysrq
    14 years ago

The accent color that popped into my head first was coral. You might have an easier time liking that with the wood. (gorgeous furniture, btw!) If you were to use a print like the one suero shows, I'd pull something like that orange-y color out for a throw or accent pillow.

Getting back to the blue idea, if you find some panels that incorporate blue and pale yellow, that would work.

I think I would look for panels first, because there is a lot more bedding than WTs out there to choose from. And because a rug is a less prominent feature in a room. Of course, this might just be my bias since I have been struggling to find WTs for my own bedroom.

Have you looked at Country Curtains?

• saltnpeppa
    14 years ago

I understand about leaving the fabric place uninspired....go back in a month or so. Just like clothes shopping - if I need something - can't find a thing but if I just happen to be out looking, I'll hit the mother load!!

Below is a link to a page on Horchow for some inspiration - I know they are pricey but maybe something will catch your eye. Eastern accents has pretty bedding, too for inspiration. Jcpenney, too. Look at Tuesday AM for discounted drapes that you might like that could be reworked into roman shades & bedskirts or used for the upholstered bed.

Here is a link that might be useful: horchow

• sharon_fl
    14 years ago

Beautiful furniture! Your DD chose a lovely yellow for this room. I also think blue-a soft grey blue would be absolutely gorgeous and as an accent color-a soft coral-salmon like color, as was suggested above. (these are my LR colors too!)
    Love the shape of the mirror. Here's a thought...find a fabric you love (blue & white toile?) Country curtains has it and you can purchase extra fabric as well.
    Trace out the shape of the top of the mirror Use as a pattern on a piece of 1/4" plywood. Make it the width of your bed and the height of your choice. Then on another piece of plywood..cut a piece that's the width of your bed & perhaps 4' tall..glue either cotton batting or a thin sheet of foam to the plywood & cover this w/a panel of the toile material.
    Stain the seperate piece of the mirror design, as well as some decorative molding to make a frame around the fabric covered panel...all stained in a dark color that matches your furniture.
    Hang the mirror design piece-above the fabric panel, so that the bottom edge looks like it's attached to the fabric panel.
    Love the white curtains-adds such freshness to the room...maybe just make simple gathered valances for atop the curtains.
    With a couple throw rugs and pillows in the soft coral and/or a plaid print of all 3 colors and a white ceramic vase filled w/a coral flower bouquet...awesome room!

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

I was inspired by the coral and country curtains that amy suggested, sooo, I went and took a peek and thought this would look smashing with the yellow of your walls. The website actually calls it a rose color, it also comes in blue. I would put the plaid on the bed skirt and the windows, either using the plaid valance over the white curtains you already have or the plaid drapes. Leave the white coverlet and voila, instant room! There are many combinations as it also comes in shams etc. It is worth looking at country curtains. They have some nicely made, reasonably priced items.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moire Plaid

• Rudebekia
    14 years ago

Hi katsmah, I'm not sure if I have advice for you, but I want to share my bedroom with the 1940s mahogany furniture I inherited from my grandparents. My set also has an interesting mirror, like yours, which I love. And as you see, my bedroom also comes with a black and white cat!
    {{gwi:1700746}}
    {{gwi:1739295}}

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

"The chest in the corner is a very close match to the set, but actually started life as my grandparents first TV cabinet. It fits my 20" TV set perfectly so it needs to stay in the room."

Aha! I was wondering about that piece. The photo is so dark and it sort of looked like an old Victrola player just sitting there for decoration. So it is a TV cabinet. That is so cool that you found something small to hide a TV for a bedroom. I understand why you would want to keep the piece in the room, and the placement of it in the corner. I always believe in function over form when decorating.

Another reason I suggested the pedestal table next to the bed (if the bed was between the windows) was that it would not block the heat from the radiator. I did not know your climate and how often the radiator actually gets turned on. It sounds like it needs to be on most of the year. I had actually wondered if my suggestion for having the bed right next to the radiator would be too hot for sleeping.

I love folk's idea of making the headboard to mimic the lines of the mirror. That would really make it unique and look like it was meant to match the set way better than a generic square or curved headboard.

Martita, I love that room. It looks so calm and beautiful!

• katsmah
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the great ideas!

Folkvictorian, my daughter did exactly as you stated to make the headboard to mimic the lines of the mirror. She was able to trace it out and then followed the top curve to make the piece queen size. Sharon, I love the idea of the wood frame around the headboard. I'll have to see how much of my luck I can push asking for it. Now I just need for her to find the time to come visit again to actually work on the project. She and her husband just moved so she has been busy getting their place setup.

The curtains that are in the room now are from Country Curtains, bought about 8 years ago. I looked very quickly at their online catalog, but need to stop by their store over the weekend. I'm lucky that they have a store about 10 miles from my house. I think what I need to do is just buy some items and see how they look. Hanging t-shirts on the wall to get an idea doesn't really cut it. Though I do have a coral t-shirt I could hang up for a bit.

Dilly dally, I'm in northern NJ so the heat is on pretty much from Oct to April. The AC ductwork was also set right over the dresser is now.

Marita, unfortunately my company blocks pictures on our work PC's so all I can see right now is 2 red X's. I'm looking forward to seeing your bedroom when I go home tonight.

• folkvictorian
    14 years ago

Ah, great minds think alike! Be sure to post pics when you're done with this lovely project!

• katsmah
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Marita your bedroom is beautiful! I love the color and it fits in so well with the wide moldings around your windows.

• katsmah
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Folkvictorian, I will do that. At the rate that I am able to make a decision about color and fabrics, it may be awhile. Some people come by this process naturally, and some of us who have no creativity consider decorating very, very hard.

• katsmah
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello, I am katsmah's daughter. Thank you for all your compliments and ideas on the room. Almost everything you have recommended, I have tried, but she can be rather stuborn. First, I would like to say, I never leaned toward Tiffany Blue. I think it's too bright, and she doesn't like it anyway. I think the blue-ish grey that you see everywhere now would be beautiful in here. As far as prints, I think a Damask would be nice, it's mature and elegant to go with her beautiful furniture, but she doesn't like Damask, or really any prints for that matter. She wants to do stripes, which I think wouldn't go with the lines of the furniture. As far as moving the furniture around, I did a whole layout on a free website, but she said that outside wall is too cold, and she sleeps here, so it's her say in the end. As far as the headboard, I had first traced out the front arch of the dresser to get the proper length, it's the same width as a queen bed, and then I lined up the ends of the mirror to flow seemlessly into the arch and cut that out, but I don't think I can make a wood frame around it....Update! I just found out she want's Damask now, not stripes anymore. Thank you, now I can actually get this thing started. She is starting to trust me now that you have all confirmed what I have been saying. Thank you all.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

"but I don't think I can make a wood frame around it..."

You want a fabric covered headboard right? You can get a huge piece of styrofoam at HD or some building supply place, and cut it easily. Then cover with fabric.

• maberlyne
    14 years ago

Wow, beautiful! I'll be watching this to see the finished product :)

Dilly dally, where did you find that bedroom set in your post? It's beautiful!

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz