SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
boymom23

What style of fence to choose for a brick Georigan Style house?

boymom23
15 years ago

Hello - I know this is not a fence forum, but I knew you decorators could give me good feedback! Last summer I hung out at the kitchen forum, as I gutted my kitchen and redid it, and now this summer we're putting in a pool, so I hang out at the pool forum mostly! I'd love your advice, please, because I'm stuck about the fence. I have a very traditional red brick Georgian style house. It's a two-story with black shutters, and white trim, and a white wood railing at the steps leading to the front door. So while you see mostly brick from the front, you do see some white trim and dental molding at the top, along the brick edge.(I would post a photo, it would do it much more justice, but I'm very impaired in that dept. - lol!) So, here's my dilemma: ideally I think this style house would look best with a black rod iron fence, but I want privacy. My pool is having to be built right where my driveway ends (due to septic lines, etc.) Thus, I don't want people to see straight into the pool area when they drive by our house. And eventually, the pool itself will have the black rod iron fence enclosing it. I have priced 6ft privacy, wooden fences and I'm fine with that on 3/4 of the yard, but I think the front needs something more formal. Can you paint just the front fence white and leave the other 3 sides wood? I've looked at scalloped edges, inverted scallop, straight edges with finial/ball type posts, etc. Do you think a white fence looks to casual for a brick Georgian? I keep googling fence photos, but most are cottage style homes with white picket fences. Any suggestions? Thanks so much for reading :)

Comments (11)