SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chaocai

Cedar Shake Roof Lifespan in PNW

chaocai
9 years ago

I was recently told by my insurance company that my roof is, "too old to be insurable", and that they're dropping my coverage. Not sure how they can decide that from a random trip to my house and a view of it from the ground, but here we are...

In talking with previous owners, I can estimate that the roof is between 15 and 20 years old. The shakes seem to be pretty high quality "heavies", and I've been told by many inspectors and roof maintenance guys over the years that it has many years of life left in it. (i.e. no problems with leaking, and no apparent damage of any kind). It's been routinely maintained by myself and all previous owners. I live in the Pacific Northwest, so it does spend a siginificant portion of the year wet.

Given the above, I think that I should be able to expect something near the high end of the average life span for a cedar shake roof.

Does anyone have any data about the average lifespan of cedar shake roofs in the PNW? In searching the forum, I'm seeing 15, 20, 25 years, but it's all one-off, and those posters don't generally state whether or not the roof they're replacing is having any problems, just that it's a certain age.

Comments (3)