SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Enjoying a pretty well worry-free retirement

joyfulguy
10 years ago

Being in my 80s, with offspring on either side of 50 who are looking after themselves, no grandkids, I've seldom had my body tell me, "Listen, you darned old fool - I can't DO that for you any more!". Some shots to shrink some varicose veins may have caused some blood clots a bit over 3 years ago, but I'm on blood thinners and it hasn't interfered with my desired pursuits ... which has included looking after a garden in recent years, this year with about a mile of row ... but which didn't turn out to my usual satisfaction.

I have a government non-contributory pension, that carries residence requirements, and a required contributory one that started in 1966, with occasional smallish escalators.

I have a private contributory pension, which had some escalators until recent years, but lacking such recently, with returns on investments having been reduced recently.

I hold a smallish personal retirement account from which I draw annually the required minimum amount ... which has reduced recently, as I followed my advisor's advice to sell Berkshire Hathaway at about $85.00 (recently grew to $116.) and buy some Canadian petroleum at about $20.00 ... that went to $10.00, now about $12.00).

Oh, well ... one chooses as best one can ... and wins a few ... and loses a few.

Being decidedly frugal ... I began learning such at farmer dad's knee (World War II began in '39, when I was 10, and hired hands went to war, so I learned early the value of work). Having spent a few years helping refugees with nothing get back on their feet just after the Korean War (having modern war sweep across most of your country four times provides major lessons in what trouble is all about) added to that training.

I live within my pension income ... so the investment game is pretty well "play money" ... for the present, at least: providing for my care down the road may chew into a good portion of it.

Having lived for years in employer-owned housing, for a number of years I didn't have to pay for house ... but knew that when I retired I'd need to, so should save toward that eventuality ... at which time, with good planning and investing, I should be able to provide such for myself (with no, or minimal, mortgage?).

A few years ago I moved from a rented unit in a townhouse to what used to be uncle's farm, which the man who bought the farm rents to me for about 60% of my earlier deal .. and he lets me use about an acre? of land for garden, cultivating and tilling it for me, as well (and he gets a good few veggies - most go to churches, social agencies or son).

I've felt for years that it makes sense for a number of singles, especially seniors, to live in shared housing ... but folks say that it won't work - that they'll fight, e.g. over moving a couch six inches or so.

Oh, well ... as I said earlier - you win a few ... and you lose a few.

Hope you've all had a good year. I flew to help my brother and wife celebrate their fiftieth wedding anniversary - figured I'd married them, so should be there to help celebrate the milestone ... (better a milestone than a gravestone, right?)

Oh, and by the way ... aren't these Christians a peculiar lot ... you hear them telling about what a great place Heaven is ... but how many have you met in any hurry to get there? Well, until they're gravely ill, with little prospect of substantial recovery.

ole joyful ... for many years a liberal Protestant clergyperson (till divorce intervened - tut! tut!)

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths