SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Update - bedroom

User
12 years ago

If you just want to see pics, scroll on down but I feel like talking about this. :)

I didn't intend for it to take this long for paint and curtains but as I mentioned in another thread, I've spent the past couple months helping my sister with her new house. I've been stripping wallpaper and painting, painting, painting. I'm really burnt out on painting. Seriously, I may cry if you show me a paint brush. Hah. I do have a door to paint and touch ups to do yet.

Believe it or not, I can't find a before, before picture! We were using a full size bed with a white, squatty headboard. Comforter was light blue and gold - shiny material. Walls weren't painted. Bronze/gold curtains were hung on a skinny rod that was lower. We started with painted furniture I used growing up and bought the current dressers and night stand on CL. Back last Fall we finally bought the queen Wesley Allen bed.

Here was a mid process mock up Squirrel did for me when I had the other houndstooth fabric. I won't be looking for a large mirror like in the photo. After some rethinking, I don't want something that heavy above my head. Plus, I'm trying to use things I already have and love. I don't plan on adding a rug. I do wonder how a runner would look along the sides of the bed. Maybe someday.

{{gwi:1737249}}

Here's the now. The ceiling is Ace Light Navajo White. Walls are SW Dromedary Camel - I love how it looked in Whitedobe's room. Trim is white. I used satin for the walls because they didn't have enough eggshell base and I didn't feel like making another trip to the store. However, I wish I would've since I didn't actually use the paint for over two months! Oh well. The paint color looks closer to the mock up above IRL. It looks SUPER garish in some of these pics, whoowee. I'll take some day time pics tomorrow.

My carpet looks funky here. It's actually cream.

{{gwi:1737250}}

{{gwi:1737251}}

{{gwi:1737252}}

I ended up getting the JCP curtains Whitedobe has and recommended. I was going to get the Ikea Ritva ones but was getting way impatient (friend offered to pick some up but has a hectic schedule). I'm glad I went with these. I did consider using curtains a little lighter than the wall color at one point but I discovered I prefer contrast in curtains/wall for my house. I just couldn't see spending $400ish for the Pottery Barn curtains for the bedroom. I don't plan on adding any blinds. I like all the light during the day. I wish I would've lowered the curtain rod a wee bit but I'm not changing it now. I hate, HATE hanging curtain rods. I always end up needing help!

Coordinating kitty bed. They use it!

{{gwi:1737253}}

An attempt at a vignette. Open to suggestions with this.

{{gwi:1737254}}

{{gwi:1737255}}

I'm not sure if I'm keeping the large lamp on the long dresser. I just threw some stuff on the other side. I may do something with photographs above dresser since I won't use a mirror.

{{gwi:1737256}}

I also know the lamps on the night stand are too small all the way around but for now we're going to use them. It's a shame they aren't taller and more substantial. In the future I think I will go with the plug in wall lamps.

The gold paisley tablecloth is what I had but am open but am open to suggestions. I'm still thinking burlap might look good.

Still debating if I want to add one more pillow to the bed. Maybe something smaller. Maybe that cream RL ruffle pillow. I don't know. The toile pillow seems to stand out like it needs something else to tie it in but I'm not sure what. I'm not getting rid of it though.

I have some art placement questions but I may save that for another thread.

The room feels really cozy and warm and I love that. I'm very pleased with the overall look.

Thank you so much to everyone for helping me along with this! p.s. I'm going to force myself to paint the bathroom next week. New towel bar should be here soon.

Comments (33)

• abundantblessings
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Congrats, Shee, you've worked hard and stayed true to your vision! Enjoy!

• gmnolen
    12 years ago

I love your wall color! Your room is beautiful and inviting. Congratulations!

• Related Discussions

Updating Master Bedroom...HELP!!!!!

Q

Comments (13)
    I encourage you to check out dressers on the resale market including Craig's List and consignment/thrift/antique stores. There really are incredible deals on makers like Drexel Heritage, Henredon, Ethan Allen (including Legacy line, which is French Country without too much ooh la la) that could suit your space and aesthetic very well. Or maybe you will find something to paint. Bedding-wise,consider adding one long lumbar in a print you adore and simplifying pillows. Pull the color for the walls from that print.
    ...See More

bedding update master bedroom

Q

Comments (2)
    Additional photo
    ...See More

Updating master bedroom. Ideas needed. Pictures will be very helpful.

Q

Comments (7)
    Think about your favourite style and search Pinterest. You’ll see all the components that bring a room together, which will help you decorate. You can also drill down further and search by color, bedding, window treatments, rugs, bedside lamps, etc For example, I searched specifically for a modern dark headboard. Area rug would be a nice addition and then base rest of room around it. Bedding is next and paint last. Nice window treatment with longer black rod
    ...See More

Updating Tradational Bedroom

Q

Comments (7)
    You need art. It sounds crazy, but modern, abstract art will make the room more interesting, and warmer. It doesn’t have to be splashy mad colors, but it should definitely look like a modern artwork. I’d change the bedding as well, by picking up colors from your artwork.
    ...See More
  • Sujafr
    12 years ago

This looks so much better than before (I remember your early posts about it), and I agree with the others that you've stayed focused and really produced a warm inviting room! I usually prefer wood beds, but your iron one is really pretty and fits well with your furnishings. Give yourself a mini break from decorating.

• sable_ca
    12 years ago

Shee - I think that you've done a remarkable job - your room is lovely, very pulled-together. Any more that you do will just be fine-tuning details. And you'll be able to change the accessories as the mood hits, sometimes a bit of this, sometimes a bit of that. I like the vignette on the dresser, the items are in keeping with its style. Especially like that oval picture and the books.

Regarding the Bosporus Toile. I know how you love it; it's my favorite fabric also. I have samples of all three colors but haven't decided where to use them. Thought they'd be our master bedroom curtains, but the look is too dark and heavy. Since you want to repeat the fabric, what if you used it for the tablecloth? Or as a runner on the low bureau? Agree that you should keep the pillow - it lightens up the room, which IMO benefits from a touch of feminine and floral.

• mitchdesj
    12 years ago

It looks wonderful, switching out to the larger plaid was such a great move !!

• loribee
    12 years ago

I'm sooooo happy for you, it's very warm, rich and wonderful! ENJOY!

• johnsmith_2010
    12 years ago

These bed rooms are really very nice and very neat.

Here is a link that might be useful: EPDM Coatings

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

It looks great! Thanks for the f/u photos, I've been wondering about you and this room.

-Bee

• debbie1031
    12 years ago

So beautiful! Very warm and inviting- you should be very proud! As far as styling the dressers, here are some thoughts...Obviously you can take'em or leave 'em! :)Your room has a very traditional feel, so maybe an antique wood frsmed oval mirror over the chest in place of the picture on the plate stand. 16 x 20 or 18 x 24 would look nice. And over the double fresser, it might be gorgeous to do a set of 9 or 12 identically framed similarly themed pics hung very close together. Check out calendars for 12-15 similar pics and get inexpensive frames anywhere.Again, you have done an awesome job!

• cyn10
    12 years ago

Looks great! I'm glad you decided to use the larger plaid. It really made a big difference.

• User
    12 years ago

Shee, that looks wonderful!!!!!!
    and looking at the room, I am really loving the wall color and it all works beautifully. I too have used my share of beige/tans for wall color and this just brings it all home as to why they are so popular-- looks warm and works great with what you have.
    It all looks so good that I didn't even notice the nightstand lamps (which I agree are not right but who even noticed?).And I like the lamp on the long dresser.
    Great job love it all.

• ctlane
    12 years ago

Looks wonderful. everything came together nicely. I really like the arrangement on the tall dresser. Congratulations.

• busybee3
    12 years ago

your bedroom looks very nice!

i have dromedary camels in some hallways in our house...painted it with flat about 8 years ago---walls really need to be done again, so recently picked up more dromedary camel in eggshell! hoping tht will be a better finish for stairwells/hallways! it is really a great neutral!

• Lyban zone 4
    12 years ago

Shee,
    I love the room. It came together beautifully. Your colors are stunning and all flow so well. The only thing I do not like is the vignette on tall dresser. I would prefer to see alot less there. Perhaps one framed family photo and your hubbys box or pretty bowl or basket to put his change and junk at night.

• katrina_ellen
    12 years ago

I got slowed down in my progress on my house as well - I kind of burned myself out on it last year by doing so much because I just moved in last year. Now I'm having a hard time being motivated to finish the trim and do the laundry room. I have been taking a loooong break from it. Congrats in getting it all done even after the plaid fiasco - it really makes a huge difference though - Your bed is just gorgeous and the colors of the room look so inviting.

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

It's beautiful! As others have said, it's so warm and inviting, very pulled together. I do like the vignette on top of the chest. And I like the print above the bed, too.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Shee, you did a wonderful job! Beautiful color on the wall too.

I vote for a runner in front of the bed. We have them in two bedrooms and it's the perfect finishing touch. The rug you have posted is the perfect color.

You have just the right amount of pillows, too many would be overkill.

Perfection!

• ttodd
    12 years ago

Lookin' good! Lookin' good!

• nostalgicfarm
    12 years ago

What a wonderful room!

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone! Here are a couple day pics. The wall color looks closer to these. I can't seem to get an accurate picture of the room at night.
    {{gwi:1737258}}
    {{gwi:1582339}}

Sable - I can kind of sew but I'm not sure if I could match up the pattern right to make a tablecloth. Maybe as a topper on the table and a darker solid tablecloth? I don't know about using a scarf just because as much as I try to keep the long dresser clear of stuff it usually ends up with some clothes and odds and ends. We'll see if we can keep that from happening since the room is "done". :)

Debbie - I like the idea of an old oval mirror (or even a round) over the tall dresser. As much as I love that small oval picture (I also have another slightly different one -it's a set of two) my eye kept looking at it like it was too small to be the backdrop.

Lyban - I may end up simplifying the vignette. I've already changed it a few times to get it to this point. I like layered stuff in books but IRL it can be too much for me after a while.

Oakley - I'll measure in front of the bed. I'm thinking there might not be enough breathing room around the rug to look right. I really do like the rug in the mock up. I believe Squirrel found it on Overstock.

• dawn25
    12 years ago

What a beautiful room! I love the colors, and the bed is gorgeous!

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bumping for Tina and a few others have asked occasionally over the past few months.

• Kathleen McGuire
    12 years ago

I knew you must be busy as I haven't seen you post in quite a while and here you unveil your vision! You must be thrilled with it because it IS exactly what you had in you mind's eye and you followed through to make it happen. And it DOES take time. The wall color is perfect and brings eveything togther! Just a question, not a suggestion, but have you tried the bedside lamps on the long dresser? Just wondering if they work there. I like the print over the bed! Perfect in the room. As far as the vignette, remove two items and see how it looks. Right now it seems a bit crowded, so maybe just removing something will help without redoing the whole thing. Overall you did a great job!

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Kmcg! Thanks! I was hoping you'd see this. Now where's Val?
    I haven't tried the small lamps on the long dresser just because I thought they'd look too short. Where on earth do you put lamps that small? I have another set that's similar (shades black metal but there's a gold design/trim around the bottom) but even a little smaller!

I'll mess with the vignette more. I'd like to hang that round print with the other as a pair in the room somewhere so I'm sure I'll have something completely different when I'm finished.

I started the bathroom painting but I'm so not into it. Blaaaah. The trim isn't even finished yet. Since the room isn't functional I'm sure that will help me hurry things along.

• cooperbailey
    12 years ago

love love love it! Who would notice or care about the lamps. that bed is picture perfect. In fact I much prefer your completed vision to the catalog photo!
    And I like the vignette on the tall dresser,but I would remove the white plate and then I think its perfect. I have no doubt that you will come up with something for the low dresser!

• always1stepbehind
    12 years ago

AHHHH...I had been wondering about your progress. Hadn't seen any posts lately..WOW...your room looks amazing. I love how it came out.

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

What a great mix of masculine and feminine - perfect for a master bedroom! I'm so glad that you ditched the mirror over the bed idea. I would have been nervous for you sleeping with such a potential lethal weapon over your head at night. I actually like your little lamps on the bedside tables, and the round table with the cloth on it is just right. Very well done!

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cooper - Thanks! I still love the original inspiration photo but like that mine is somewhat different. Lighting in the inspiration picture makes a huge difference in the overall colors/look. I actually wonder if I'd like it as much if I saw it IRL. I can't find the inspiration pic right now or I'd post it again for giggles.

Always - Thank you! I get so excited to show you guys the after pictures.

Terriks - Thanks! "I'm so glad that you ditched the mirror over the bed idea."
    I remember you and a few others saying about that not being a good location and I just figured I'd use super wall anchors and all would be well. Since I was using what I had, when the time came to actually hang that picture I changed my tune. It's probably less than 5 lbs and I have it hooked up like it's 50! :)

Do you guys remember that skinny, old mirror I bought off ebay and had in my LR for a while? I think that could work above the tall dresser. I'll have to start a new thread.

• tinam61
    12 years ago

Oh Shee - so sorry I just now saw this! Not here so much lately.

It looks great! I think you could do one more pillow - I like an odd number.

I'd love to see the mirror - I can't remember it - but I think a mirror would definitely look good in your room. Of course, I love mirrors!!

I owe you an email - catch up!!

Sorry I'm late - but love the room!

tina

• User
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Your vision came together perfectly.

Thanks for the finished pictures. I was also wondering.

Did you decide to go with red for the bathroom? Or...?

• Valerie Noronha
    12 years ago

I love the end result. I know you much you sweated over every little detail, but it looks but comfortable and stylish and something you will no doubt enjoy for many years to come.

I don't think you need another pillow--as it would detract from the carefully combined fabrics you already have. The Bosphorous toile is that something unexpected and really works.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jill - I have my can of red ready to go! I'll keep the color top secret for now, ha. I had decided on the color a while back and my sister ended up using the same color in her downstairs bathroom and I LOVE it.

• User
    12 years ago

Oh, goodie! Looking forward to that post with pictures...