SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenwebber

Question about Gardz and painting over plaster/wallpaper

gardenwebber
15 years ago

Remember me? With the big plaster/wallpaper/painting mess in my FR?

We have done all the wallpaper stripping we can do. We are down to the plaster on all walls but one. This one wall is drywall and has one layer of stuck-on wallpaper that won't come off without taking the drywall with it. (there was a layer on top of that that came off easily)

So. What we want to do now is texturize over the entire room w/drywall compound to give the whole surface a similar texture, then paint.

Before we texturize, do we need to do anything to the layer of wallpaper that is there, or to the scraps that are still hanging? (just a few areas where it absolutely won't come off without taking the plaster or drywall right along with it)

Since the whole thing is getting mudded, I was wondering if we can just texturize the whole thing, then prime, then paint. Or, do we need to Gardz it first, then texturize, then gardz again and paint?

What is the purpose of Gardz, and what makes it different from primer?

(I've looked through my old threads trying to get my answer, but gardz was mentioned most of the time within the context of re-papering, and since we are painting now, I wanted to be sure we are doing the right thing)

Thanks.

GW

Comments (2)