SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
guvnah_gw

Please help me with my fireplace! It's un-awesome.

guvnah
15 years ago

Hi. It's been awhile since I've posted. Spent a lot of time in the real estate forum buying this little fixer-upper, eventual retirement lake house & am now working on the renovations.

Long story short.... great little house, needs everything but we're not in a hurry. We're trying to do most things ourselves. Always buying sale & used items to keep down the cost. The kitchen was first up. We tore out the old - bought cabinets on craigslist for $250 (lots of sanding & paint went into them, but we're happy with the final outcome), slate grey laminate countertops & a "greystone" tile backsplash ( Lowe's close out at 4¢ per tile!) Hoping to find "newer" appliances on Craigslist too, but these came with the house & they work - so no hurry on them. Should I hope for white or SS? Also will be replacing the table that came with the house with some sort of island - ideas?

We also bought a ton of laminate flooring ( I know - I know, but it's not our primary residence & won't be for another 10+ years) that is a nice, medium (elegance oak by swiftlock) tone brown - not glossy. We are waiting until the end of major stuff to put it in because I think it will be pretty messy.

Right now everything (walls & cabinets) are white & because the house was so dingy when we bought it, I'm pretty set on leaving it for a few years.

All of this brings me to the fireplace. If you have a minute, please look at the pictures and let me know what you think. It's horrible orange brick with some sort of very shiny coating. We can take off the brick & build a new front - or whatever you think will be best. DH is very handy. It needs to look good with the kitchen since it's all one big room. We have tons of the 6x6 tiles that match the back splash if you think it would look good to tie those in around the front or on the floor in front.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: fireplace & kitchen

Comments (20)