SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pearlchow

Rate these DIY jobs on 1-5 scale

pearlchow
17 years ago

Hi all,

We are remodeling and acting as our own GCs. So far, we have subbed out all the work (foundation, framing, roofing, plumbing, electrical, HVAC), but last weekend, my husband and I ended up installing the bathroom fans ourselves because I didn't want to deal with a change order (forgot to add it to the HVAC guy's job). We got a big sense of satifaction (granted it's an itty bitty thing), but nevertheless, we're all gung-ho about tackling another job.

Before we get in over our heads, we would love to hear from the experts about what types of "jobs" are DIY manageable and which should be left to the pros.

Here's what we're thinking:

Jobs we are not interested in DIYing:

- drywall

- stucco/siding

- stone countertops

- priming all drywall; painting the ceiling

Jobs we are considering:

- Adding blocking

- Insulation

- Installing interior doors (incl pocket doors)

- Trimming doors and windows

- Cabinetry/built-ins installation

- Tiling floors (not sure about the walls)

- Adding beadboard/paneling

- Installing click and lock floating wood flooring

- Painting walls (after contractor has primed)

Which jobs do you think are easiest, a good DIY project? Hardest, no way, sub it out?

I don't think there's any way we can do all the jobs on our "maybe" list, so we need to be smart about picking and choosing two or three that would make the most difference to our bottom line. Also, if there are some jobs that can be done after final inspection, we could wait on those and do them later after moving in.

Thanks for any advice you can give!!!

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company