SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nynathan

Insulating old farm house from the inside

nynathan
15 years ago

Greetings, I'd appreciate any input on what I plan on doing with our 1850's farmhouse to upgrade the insulation envelope. We just tore out our first room, removed plaster, lathe and brick nogging from the walls and are ready to start rebuilding.

Here's the plan:

Insulate the irregular old stud cavities with foam board that has been cut and fit a quarter inch shy and then "mortared in" around the edge with expanding foam to wedge it tightly in to the cavity.

Frame what I understand to be called "floating" walls (2x4, 24" OC) against the exterior walls, putting unfaced batts between the new studs, going as thick as needed to make up for the space the fitted foam doesn't fill.

Finally, put up a vapor barrier and then 5/8 drywall.

The final cross-section will be (from outside to inside):

clapboard siding

sheathing

old studs/fitted foam in between

new studs/batts in between

vapor barrier

5/8 drywall

The assumption:

I think that I should use OPEN cell foam board and expanding foam (for the mortar) for the fitted foam I'm doing. This is because I don't want to create 2 vapor barriers, which I believe would happen if I used closed cell foam along with the barrier that goes right behind the drywall. It's my understanding that everything behind your vapor barrier (from the inside) should have some degree of breathability, and the open cell foam seems like it would allow this. Is this assumption correct?

The outright questions:

How does this sound as far as an insulation strategy?

How do I secure the unfaced batts between the new studs, do they just wedge in there?

What should I use for the vapor barrier that goes behind the drywall, just plastic? What mil?

Thanks!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio