SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
massagerocks_gw

not too happy with grantie installation

massagerocks
16 years ago

this is my first post so bear with me. i tried to resize the pics, but my computer is blocking the edit screen. i've been reading here a long time and received so much information, i want to thank whoever set this forum up and maintains it, as well as everyone that shares their stories.

i'm not remodeling as such, but we started w/ repainting the family room and since the kitchen adjoins it, well some of you may guess the rest of it...i just had new granite countertops installed. i really like the New Venetian Gold which we picked after months of agonizing. I'm upset with a couple things regarding the installation. They took detailed measurements and made templates. But one of the counters was too long and they had to notch it on-site because it extended onto the door molding (the others are flush to the door moldings). Its a raw notch out of the 1/2 bullnose edge, and then because of the notch, the counter is 1/4" away from the wall. It really bothers me. I also have a ledge over my sink they made a granite shelf for and the two sides are 1/4" away from the wall. It is a large gap. The countertops have one seam, whichh you can hardly see, but it feels rough to the touch, and when viewed at certain angles, the granite on either side of the seam appears scratched. there are abrasion like lines along the sides of seam. They also left swipes of adhesive in a few places,as well as in my new sink.

The guy was really defensive when i called with my concerns. I was just asking to have the installer come back and look at it. He kept explaining how walls arent straight, and giving me detailed description on how they scrape and feather the seams and that what i'm seeing is unavoidable. He sounded angry with me, until i mentioned the too long countertop and the notch, at which point he said someone would contact me on Monday.

here is a link to the pics, sorry if they are too big. It looks worse in person than in the pics. Ive never had this type of work done before, is this expected? If not, what recourse do I have? They have been fully paid (DH was home, didnt notice this stuff).

i couldnt get the seam to show up in a pic. The first two posted are the notched countertop, the second two are the shelf sides.

sorry for the long post. thank you for reading. any opinions would be deeply appreciated, i dont know what recourse i have.

Comments (17)