SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ehardman_gw

Unvented crawl space insulation

ehardman
15 years ago

I have an area below a bedroom addition to my house which has a low ceiling of about 5 ft that I use to store lawn equipment. It is an unvented closed space with an insulated access door and a concrete floor. The interior walls are insulated and have plastic sheeting nailed across all the studs. However, there is a small amount uninsulated area on the concrete foundation. The ceiling is uninsulated. There is a single register providing conditioned air to the space. I am not sure if there is a cold air return as I have not seen one.

The room is 15' x 20'. We live in Kansas so winters are cold and summers are hot. With the door closed to this bedroom, the temparture in the morning has been as low as 45 degrees. I had the heating/ac tech look and he said the floor should be insulated.

If so, what type of insulation should be used between the studs (2 x 10's) in the crawlspace/storage area? Are there moisture concerns? Should the insulation have a vapor barrier? If so, should the vapor barrier be intalled against the warm ceiling?

Thank you for your input.

Comments (5)