SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moejava

Insulating and venting the roof over a finished top floor

moejava
16 years ago

I'm going to insulate the roof over a room with a 6.5 ft high "cathedral" ceiling-- well okay, some people would call it a finished attic.

Currently there is no insulation whatsoever between the drywall ceiling and the roof, but at least the area does already have ridge vents. I'm in eastern Massachusetts where you don't dare insulate without ventilating too.

After *lots* of deliberation I've decided to remove the perfectly good ceiling; install ventilation baffles next to the roof; install fiberglass batts; and put up new dry wall & plaster. (Fortunately I know a plasterer willing to do small jobs for a fair price...) I think I am down to a couple little questions:

-- The main question I still have concerns the areas where two gable roofs come together in a "T". Even if I put ventilation baffles in these areas, the air passage-way will only go up as far as the inside-corner rafters (in the valleys where different gable sections meet). Should I bother putting the baffles into these areas? Am I inviting trouble whether I put the baffles there or not?

-- Should I also put a plastic vapor barrier between the fiberglass and the dry wall? Does the Kraft-paper fiberglass backing count as a vapor barrier at all?

Thanks!

Moe

(I also posted this on the home repair forum- but I'm hoping there will be higher traffic here.)

Comments (5)