SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
youngdeb_gw

Help me design my fireplace wall

youngdeb
14 years ago

We're remodeling, and I'm coming up on the decision for this wall. I've been avoiding it because I'm pretty sure I can't do what I really want to.

We like a more modern style. The flooring will be 1' x 2' warm gray porcelain tile (this room is used by the kids a lot and is right off the pool. No wood floor.) We need to keep the window and the door where they are, the rest is up for grabs.

I like the L shape the paneling & cabinetry make here, and I like the contrast of the wood with the flooring. It's hard to see in the picture, but I have the paneled section bumped out 6" from the drywall section (the paneling will wrap the bump out on both sides.)

So the thing is, I'm worried this isn't going to pass muster with clearances for the fireplace. Apparently you can't have combustible stuff 6" (or 8", can't seem to get an answer on that) from the fireplace. One thought I had was insetting tile in the cabinetry by the fireplace box, and putting tile on the underside of the paneling overhang. Not sure that would pass inspection - anyone been through this?

Interested to hear what the experts here think. Thanks in advance!!

Deb

Comments (5)