SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tiskers

Please help me decorate my bathroom! (Thank you!)

tiskers
13 years ago

Hi! I need your help, please! I am drawing nothing but blanks!

We just got done stripping the old wallpaper off in our small downstairs half bath. We painted the walls a lovely "coffee-with-milk" color (Pratt & Lambert "Muffin Tan").

The bathroom is small, only 4' x 8'. (Ceiling is low at just under 7') The vanity, mirror and toilet are all on one wall. The vanity and medicine cabinet/mirror and light above it were faux finished by me.

There is one window. One small ceiling light. The floor is neutral.

Our home is a 1500 SF Cape Cod (built in the 50's), and my decorating style is casual/country cottage.

Here are some pictures:

Standing in the hall looking into the bathroom:

The long "left" wall, as you look in:

The vanity base:

Vanity top:

Mirror and light above vanity:

Short window wall:

Long, empty right wall:

In the bathroom, looking at the (closed) door:

My main dilemmas are:

1. The long left wall is BUSY. Everything is on that wall. There is no changing that!

2. The long right wall is PLAIN and BLANK, and I just don't know what to do with it. I'm having a heck of a time finding wall art (pictures, etc.) One or two pictures on that whole long wall just won't seem to "cut it"... will it? I'd like to find a cute set of 4... and really try to *fill* that wall.

Here are two pictures that I already have, they are 13.5" x 16.5" each:

They're not very "bathroom-y" but I do like them. But again, I just don't think that's *enough* for the long, bare wall. Is it?!

I also like these from Sturbridge Yankee Workshop (they are each 13.5" square). (I don't own them already, I'd have to buy them:)

Not bathroom-y either, but I like them, and since there are 4 of them, they'd fill the wall better... no?

And then there's this little corner, and I mean little! Only 8.5" from corner to door trim. But IF I could find something VERY SMALL, maybe a wrought iron type stand or something... that might look nice, and it would be *something else* on the long bare wall! Any suggestions?

(And since you can kinda see him on the door, here's a close-up of the little mouse I stenciled!)

My husband is handy and can build anything... so if you can think of something interesting that could be added to that long right wall (that wouldn't protrude too far, as space is rather tight in there!), I could probably make it happen!

Also, I will include below the link to my finished kitchen thread, so you can see my "style"... plus in that thread are pictures of my other downstairs rooms, too... so maybe that will help you visualize things.

I plan to cross post this in the "Bathrooms" forum, too. Hope that is OK! I need all the help I can get!!! ;o)

Thank you ALL very much! I am really looking forward to seeing what you talented GW'ers can come up with for me!

Lynn

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of our kitchen (and of the rest of our house, too)

Comments (27)

• booboo60
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Your bathroom turned out great! I loved your kitchen remodel too! Just at first glance, I could see a metal art type thing on your blank wall in the bathroom. Even one of those metal candle wall art things. Sorry I don't know the real name for these things! You could hang pictures and sconces on that wall if you didn't want to use all pictures. I am still decorating my bathrooms in my house and it's been 2 years since we moved in!!! Decorating isn't always easy!!
    Good Luck!

• Related Discussions

Please help me with my bathroom!!

Q

Comments (8)
    My powder room is painted SW Spicy Hue (a dark rusty color) with white fixtures and trim. What I love about a darker color is this: (which may or many not affect your choice) We have kids (4 & 6), which means even more kids are here, a lot. We've learned that "wash your hands" actually means, get your hands really wet, squirt a ton of soap that ends up all over the sink rather than the hands, then a quick wipe on the towel, and dripping hands to turn the light off. We had a light color in our bathroom until I couldn't take wiping the walls down 5 times a day, especially in the summer, b/c of all of the dirt that showed. So I went with a darker color that doesn't show any dirt. I know that the dirt still is there, but at least I can't see it and be totally grossed out. I do wipe the walls down often anyhow though, so you don't think I'm a filthy person! :) With a mirror in the bathroom, it reflects light and the room is cozy enough for a bathroom LOL, yet certainly is bright enough and doesn't feel small imo. I would say to go with the color you were planning on. The pictures above are both beautiful and great ideas to go on.
    ...See More

Help me decorate my master bathroom!

Q

Comments (16)
    Also, I don't know that I'll have the right space for this painting, but I'd love to use it in the master bath if I can make it work. I thought about over the tub on the wall to the left, but the placement of the towel bar there may make it awkward. I found this in an antique shop in Suffolk, England. The tag indicated it to be a print and I paid the equivalent of $45 for it, but when I removed it from its awful original frame, I realized it is an original painting. It's a scene from St. Ives in Cornwall and is very special to me. Forgive the glaring reflection from the glass.
    ...See More

Can you help me finish decorating my bathroom

Q

Comments (3)
    I envision a British West Indies feel to compliment its style - light bamboo blinds to match door, white or soft blue towels, plant and candles on bathtub ledge Given the corner niche make up area, suggest mirrors running from end to end. You could even frame in and stain to match cabinetry. I would use a dark rattan chair to compliment counters. - if interested in BWI look.
    ...See More

Please help me with my baby girl’s bathroom decor!

Q

Comments (2)
    posting to bump this. For some reason there was a delay in when I posted this and when it actually showed up in discussion boards. Houzz seems quite buggy.
    ...See More
  • susanwrites
    13 years ago

I just got done looking at your beautiful kitchen remodel - wow! Lovely job and I am so impressed at you doing it yourselves. Not a lot of that going on around our house. :)

But looking at your pictures and seeing the quilts, I wondered about putting a quilt on the wall, perhaps?

• saltnpeppa
    13 years ago

Beautiful kitchen!!

Have you thought about beadboard? The wallpaper beadboard would be an easy install .....go 3/4 up the wall with it. Maybe paint it another color other than your trim color _ a pretty sage green or blue & paint your window trim, too. You could then get an old crusty board & add some funky hooks to it for a couple of hand towels. That would add some interest to the long wall. You could then hang a couple of prints above the beadboard. Or frame some neat fabric or wallpaper. Some fabric would be nice on the window, maybe the my3dogs valance tied with some pretty grosgrain ribbon.

Cute mousies, too!

Smiles:)

• gracie-2006
    13 years ago

I think your bathroom has a lot of potential! I like the color and your vanity. First glance, I noticed the toilet seat needs to be changed. I would pick a black or white seat.I think the rooster pictues are adorable but they need to be in a kitchen or breakfast area. I like the second set of pics, the black frames would look nice in your bathroom.You need something long above your commode. I think maybe a mesh style towel holder would be neat. Maybe look at PB for ideas.

• tiskers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

THANKS, everyone! I KNEW I came to the right place!!! :-)

I like your ideas and I hope you keep them coming, please!

I definitely will replace the toilet seat, thanks!

OH! I am VERY INTRIGUED by the idea of beadboard wallpaper! I LOVE the look of beadboard. I would have to do some serious sweet talkin', though, ;o) to get my DH on board with that!!! He just spent a LOT of time REMOVING WALLPAPER!!! GAH!

...and removing the toilet.. and the medicine cabinet... and the wall light... to get the walls all smooth and prepared for painting... !!!

NewHomeBuilder,
    I like the idea of some shelves above the toilet, thanks. I have always been somewhat resistant to something there because I have always felt that wall was so *heavy* with everything already there. But if I can figure out a way to balance the room better... (BTW, tub and shower are in the large upstairs bathroom).

ScoobyRuby,
    Can you direct me to a link of My3Dogs' valance, please? THANK YOU!

Gracie,
    I don't know what you mean by a "mesh style towel holder"? Also, there is a hand towel bar already on the right side of the vanity; does this change your suggestion?

And oh -- for any "Cat People" -- yes, we got another Ragdoll... that is Bentley in the pics above, Boo's new little brother... and he was just as NOSY during the bathroom re-do as Boo was during the kitchen re-do!!! Now my poor DH has TWO supervisors with every job he does! LOL!

• Shannon01
    13 years ago

How about hanging the 4 season pictures in a row on blank wall. Take out the towel bar on vanity, IMO awkward spot. Put a towel bar below the two center pics on the long wall and hang colored towels on there. For the space above the toilet I would think a shelf (maybe fauxed like the vanity)with a vase or such on it. I agree you don't want that wall to be too heavy but it does need something. For the window I would do a simple valance of maybe a slight darker tan with a trim of black along bottom.

• tiskers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Shannon,
    Thanks for the note. May I ask why you think a hand towel bar on the side of the vanity is an awkward spot? I actually think it works out well? It's not much of a decorating accent that way (unfortunately!) -- just a pretty hand towel hanging there visible only from the toilet, but it has seemed quite practical!

And can we all discuss the window please? I have been reluctant to put up a curtain or valance only because the window is so small... (approx 32" x 35") and the only source of natural light in the room. A curtain pulled off to the side is a lovely idea (but not really *me*... a little too formal, no?) and a valance would cover 1/3 of the window, at least? And as you can see in the photos, the window trim goes right up to the ceiling... so no room to fudge it and hang any valance or curtain higher.

Thoughts? Comments? (Please!) ;o)

BTW, I think these prints are ADORABLE... and kind of "bathroom-y" themed... but again, only TWO, and they are rather small.

LOVE THEM, though! How about over the toilet, with the Four Seasons prints on the long wall?

Please, guys, you can be brutally honest! I can take it! haha!

• sable_ca
    13 years ago

Tiskers - If you do decide to go with pictures, just wanted to say that I LOVE those Sturbridge paintings. Usually I dislike black frames, but those are very nice. The pictures themselves contain a lot of color, which you could repeat with accents in your BR. They are also interesting - which means that when one is doing one's business, there's no reason to be bored. If you love the cat and pig pics, use those too.

From the look of your beautiful kitchen, you have a restrained but whimsical decorating touch. Your picture choices fit right in!

I would leave the space between the door and wall as is.

• tiskers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sable,

Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it! I'm tickled that you like the Sturbridge pictures. I've been looking around and can't find anything yet (in a set of 4) that I like better.

So, what do you all think about leaving the window curtainless? I sew, so I can easily make a valance or curtain... (and I LOVE fabric!), but I just wonder because the window is so small?

Thanks again!
    Lynn

• liveoakhome
    13 years ago

on the long wall would really dress it up! Logistically though, I'm not sure how that would tie in w/the window in the corner. You can put hooks on it.

It's an adorable bathroom. I love tiny powder rooms.

What about a very large mirror too, on the long wall, opposite the sink/mirror?

Here we go: A long board, like a chair rail, 1/3 down from the ceiling (on the long wall), painted the trim color, with hooks on it, and a mirror over it, hung landscape-wise (make sure you can't see yourself while sitting on the can... that would be weird).

I have a mirror across from the sink mirrors and it really expands the room. Granted, they're very large mirrored closet doors, but it makes the room feel much bigger.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Checked out the link to your kitchen...very nice. I agree...you need to stain the toilet seat to match.

With all the great cat action...why not just build some shelves for them on the walls and they can be your decor...they really look nice hanging around all over your home...LOL :-)

• tiskers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, LOH and Vamps; appreciate the feedback and suggestions!

I don't think I can alter the toilet seat; I'll just replace it. Probably just pick up a nice white one somewhere.

I really like the idea of beadboard, but DH... um, not so much!!! We put a lot of work into getting the room like it is right now; if I'd have thought of the beadboard during the reno... ya know?!! I could definitely sway him into it (he's a pretty soft touch!) but if I could jazz up the powder room without that... well, I probably should! LOL!

Anyway, I love the idea of some type of shaker peg rail with hooks or pegs on the long wall!!! THANKS!!! Then either a long mirror above it -- or what do you think about the 4 Seasons pictures above?

OH, I LOVE THE WAY YOU GUYS THINK!!!! Please keep the ideas and suggestions coming, I am grinning from ear to ear!!! ;o)

Lynn

• nutmegxo
    13 years ago

I love the paint color on the wall! Very nice! What are your other colors that are outside that bathroom...I would pull a dominant color from the other living spaces immediately outside that bathroom and use that color as an accent color in the bathroom. I also like the idea of candle sconces. All the stores seem to have those iron candle holder wall display pieces (I have seem then at Bed, Bath & Beyond and I have seen them at Target, Walmart, etc.) I also like the idea of putting in dried floral wreaths or swags to add texture and interest in a bathroom. Those can be purchased or created on your own (if you are crafty) buy going to AC Moore or other craft supply stores. Whatever you do, I would keep it simple. And ICK about the mouse!!!!! lol that would scare me :) hee hee

• sable_ca
    13 years ago

Tiskers - First, I enjoyed the reference to your 4' x 8' BR as a tiny powder room. Our *main bathroom* is 28" (inches) x 7', with a small niche for the toilet and another one for the small tub-shower. Our house is 77 years old; not everything is up to code, lol.

Anyway, I walked through our bathroom (takes 3 seconds). Your long wall is actually not that long! With the vanity, toilet and window on one end, you probably have four feet of bare wall - not that much! In the time that it takes to walk from the door to the sink (1 1/2 seconds), is anyone going to stop and look at what you might have on that part of the wall? I don't think so! So - keeping in mind that personally I am totally motivated by wall art in my home - I would hang the Sturbridge pictures opposite the toilet - perhaps centered between the toilet and sink for better balance (can't tell). Shaker peg rails are so handsome, but if it were a choice between the pictures and the rail, I'd do the pictures. Just my opinion!

I would leave the window bare. It's a good-looking window; hard to think of a treatment that wouldn't seem somehow squashed.

Then I would get a matching wicker or other natural fiber magazine/wastebasket and tissue box holder. "Matchy-matchy" is often a bad word, but in a tiny space it's about all that pulls that space together. I ordered a set from Crate and Barrel for our guest bedroom, but I'll bet that Target has also has them.

Show us pictures when you're done!

• liveoakhome
    13 years ago

This is fun!

You could definitely put the 4 seasons pictures on the long wall. I would put them so they are centered with the sink mirror so they don't look weird when looking in the mirror.

But, would they fit above the toilet? That way, your sink wall is your focal point. Then a mirror above the rail to open up the room.

You could probably even find a large mirror with a built-in shelf with peg rack underneath.

You don't need to fill that long wall.... I always think about focal points; and then some black wall is nice for visual rest.

Also, can you put your magazines by the toilet so you can't see them first thing when you look in the room? :-)

• paintergirl94
    13 years ago

Since you seem to like decorative painting, ever think of something like that?

These are just a couple of examples...

• Shannon01
    13 years ago

Tiskers, I am sure the towel rack on vanity works fine where it is but I thought changing it to the wall would give you another idea of what you could do with that wall.

Your picture choices are just so perfect. I too was thinking you could put the pics above the toilet and leave the long wall blank. There really is no rule that we have to put anything on the long wall. And I also agree with leaving the window without a curtain. You could add a valance but like you said, it is small and with the trim it would be fine as is. I personally have no treatments on my main windows, had a small valance in my 4x4 half bath in prior home but that was because it was not trimmed out as nice as yours and really needed something. Your is nice as is.

• tiskers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OH! THANK YOU! I am so loving ALL your ideas and suggestions, and believe me, I am seriously considering each and every one of them!

OK... so I cut out some sheets of paper the sizes of the pictures we have been considering.

The 4 pieces of paper on the long wall represent the four 13.5" Sturbridge ("4 Seasons") prints. I think they fill the wall nicely!

The 2 pieces of paper above the toilet represent the two 8" x 10" Warren Kible prints (the cat and the pig).

(Boo seems to approve!!!)

THEN, I'll change out the toilet seat (probably a plain white one... or maybe black???), and maybe replace the magazine holder with something like this...

... and call it *DONE*!!!

So, what do you guys think?!

And remember, you can be BRUTALLY honest!!! Really! ;o)

• sable_ca
    13 years ago

You will have an amusing art gallery, simple, with colors that fit your decor, and a theme that reflects you. Good job!

Anyway, if Boo approves, that's pretty much the ball game, isn't it?

• liveoakhome
    13 years ago

I personally prefer a more uncluttered look... that's a lot of pictures for such a tiny space. I would pick either the above-toilet area OR the long wall to hang things on. Mirrors are free though. :-) Pix in one spot, mirror on the other would be my choice. But, you'll be in your bath a lot more often than I will!

• graywings123
    13 years ago

You might consider installing a shelf/peg rail combo below the pictures. It would ground the pictures so they don't seem to be floating on the wall. And it would give guests a place to hang a purse or sweater when they are in the room. I suspect your DH could make one perfectly sized to fit under the pictures.

{{gwi:1734487}}

My other thought is that someone with your talent could do a great mural on that wall. You two have done such a great job thus far. Look forward to seeing the finished project.

• tiskers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey guys, thanks for the replies!

Ya' know, LiveOakHome, I was kinda thinking that myself (a little too *busy* with all pics) after looking at these "papers" on the walls for a couple of days.

Hmmm... mirrors are really *free*???!! 'Cause if that's the case, I would consider a long mirror handing lengthwise on the long wall and the 2 Warren Kimble (cat and pig) prints above the toilet. They're my favorite prints, anyway. What do you guys think of that idea?

Hmmm... when I get home from work, I'll hang a big paper on the wall the size of a mirror, and post the pics for your critiques!!!

THANK YOU!!!
    Lynn

• tiskers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK, what do you guys think about this?

A long mirror on the long wall and two prints above the toilet?

(I figure I'll look for a *better* quality back-of-the-door-floor-length mirror with a black frame?)

And I'd choose the 2 Warren Kimble prints, I like them the best.

OK, here's the long wall with a "mirror":

And here's "two prints" above the toilet. Do you like them going N/S:

Or E/W:

Or staggered???!

THANK YOU!

(And as always, all comments, critiques, ideas and suggestions welcome!) ;o)

Lynn

• sue_b
    13 years ago

Definitely do the white toilet seat. I know you stained the light fixture above the mirror, but it's so 1970s and you could find a great one inexpensive at Home Depot or this site below.

I like the 2 pix above the toilet stacked. For the other wall, the long mirror or the 4 prints in a row...I like both.

Here is a link that might be useful: 3 light bathroom lighting ideas

• sue_b
    13 years ago

Oh, replacing the light bar above the mirror you should replace the ceiling fixture. Lighting is jewelry for a room and it will really look nicer. You could get each piece for less than $100 each.

I like this one but maybe wouldn't work with wall color.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flush mount ceiling fixtures

• tiskers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sue,
    Thanks for the posts and the suggestions!
    I have changed out the toilet seat to white, looks very nice.
    I also bought a long mirror for the long wall; it has a black somewhat-distressed frame... I think it will look nice.
    I still need to order the 2 prints for over the toilet, but I'm waiting till DH gets the mirror up to reassess the room then.
    I really like your suggestions about replacing the lights...I have actually already thought about that. I'd also like to replace the medicine cabinet. I probably will do all of that, but just not right now. Right now I just needed to do what I could quite inexpensively. But those things are on my list for ***Phase 2*** ... hopefully in a few months!

Thank you!
    Lynn

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions