SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lbny_rob

Pre-colored wood grain fiberglass doors that look decent?

lbny_rob
17 years ago

I am looking to replace a steel door (2'8" wide) with a fiberglass one. This will not be the main entrance door, but a front facing side entrance that will probably see most of the heavy traffic and wear.

I've looked that the Therma-Tru fiberglass entry doors and they are beautiful, but given that the house will still be under renovations (dust/debris) and that it is unoccupied and the door cannot be left open for four days for the gel staining process, I may have to look elsewhere.

Some other really nice doors come ready to stain and can be really expensive. As a side door, I don't want to go crazy with the expenses. I will save that for the main entry door with the sidelights.

I've seen the Feather River doors at Home Depot and I am not impressed. They look very fake, and some of the same-colored samples showed a lot of variety in color. One medium oak door looked very light and one looked appropriately darker. I am told that it is "the luck of the lot". I also saw some doors that had sloppy workmanship, such as window caulking bead that was uneven and ran away from the sealed edge and onto the window. I have also read some discouraging things about the quality of the Feather River doors and the response of both Feather River and HD.

I saw a Masonite Oakcraft pre-colored wood grain door and it wasn't very impressive. The salesman at the store I went to so discouraged the consideration of the Oakcraft that it didn't even pay to discuss it with him further.

Given my perceived complications with a door that needs to be stained, and the poor showing thus far of the pre-colored doors, I may just go with a smooth fiberglass door and paint it, even though the wood grain would complement the kitchen to which it will enter.

The door salesman for Therma-Tru stated that the pre-colored doors are simply spray painted and almost guaranteed to scratch, especially while being installed. He said that fixing such a scratch is like trying to match the paint on your new car that someone scratched. He also stated that the manufacturers cringe when they produce the pre-colored doors but that they are bending to market pressure to offer these "inferior" doors.

Has anyone found happiness with a pre-colored wood grain fiberglass entry door?

Comments (9)