SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jon1270

Rebuilding an old porch -- curent best practices?

Jon1270
14 years ago

I've been repainting the wooden front porch on my little 1930's bungalo, and its condition is so bad that the paint and caulk have become structural elements. Everything but the roof is gradually succumbing to mother nature, so it's time for me to start contemplating a rebuild. I'd appreciate input about a few improvements I'd like to make to the original structural design.

1-- What sort of footers are typically used to support the outer edge of a wood porch, away from the house's foundation? Mine sits on three or four steel posts which are (I assume) embedded in concrete. I don't know whether they go beneath the frost line. Some of them have sunken, so that one outer corner of the porch is now about 4" lower than the other.

2 -- How to prevent rot due to moisture trapped between the floor/deck surface and the roof support columns? The floor of my porch was built first, and the columns placed on top of the (T&G strip) flooring. It seems as if the surfaces between column and floor never dry out, and are thus prone to rot. The current columns, which are square boxes built from pine 1*6s and obviously not original, are rotten at the bottom. The flooring immediately under the columns, which does appear to be original, is also rotting. The weight of the roof is driving the rotten columns down into the rotten flooring. Is this just the fate of 75+ year-old porches, or is there a better way to handle this detail?

3 -- Any preferences for flooring material? The narrow strip flooring that's there now looks appropriate to the style of the house, so I'm not enthusiastic about the wide plastic decking material a neighbor used...

Comments (2)