SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spanky_md

How to insulate and wire a brick wall?

spanky_md
17 years ago

We have an enclosed patio that we want to remodel into a family room. It has a solid, dry slab floor and brick walls up to about 40" high with windows above that.

We want to add a few outlets on the walls and insulate to the highest R-value possible--at least 10. We are counting on adding at least a few inches of thickness to the wall including the finish drywall.

Here's a photo:

{{!gwi}}

Those windows are just triple-track storms. We'll be replacing them with regular double-glazed sash windows but that will be later. Right now we just want to get the room habitable for a grown daughter who will be with us for the coming year or so.

The heat will be supplied by hot water baseboard radiators which we have in the rest of the house. The ceiling will have R-38 batts installed and then will be drywalled.

So. Is rigid foam insulation an option? Most things I've read about it say that you don't have to worry about a vapor barrier with it.

I've also read that you have to do furring strips first, and then I read something about one particular brand that is "self-furring". Other applications say to attach it to the masonry wall with construction adhesive.

I'd like to avoid studding out the wall if possible but how would wiring fit in with just furring strips? And what about drywall?

There's very little on the internet about insulating this type of wall. There's a lot about insulation below-grade walls (like basement walls) but this application won't have the moisture issues of basement walls. Our walls are all above grade.

Thoughts, anyone?

Comments (8)