SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caulk_king

Do I need my own realtor?

caulk_king
16 years ago

I am looking at a small lake house in a town a few hours away. I am not actively looking at other properties in person. I found this one online & have been to look at it once.

I am in no hurry to find a place & do not want to go out looking. Something just has to "hit" me.

I do think the property is overpriced - what's new? It's priced at about $112/per sq ft & there's another on the same lake that is double the size, much newer, about the same shoreline, renovated etc. priced at $82/per.

You might (reasonably) ask why I'm more interested in the other. I prefer older - not so much into brick & new windows. I like a fixer upper + it's smaller and for the amount of time we'll use it, it will be fine - but I think those things should be reflected in the price.

It needs pretty extensive updating, although it is perfectly livable as is if you like that "60's" look. We would paint, replace flooring, maybe add central ac/heat eventually.

Should I get my own realtor to make an offer? I'm thinking NOT since I will only pay as much as I want to anyway so I think I can "negotiate" my side. I would like comps although I think the last to sell was probably in 2005 or so. Also, at this point I'm only looking at one property & so not sure I need my own person. Don't want to get their expectations up & for them to waste a lot of time on me. I'm definitly only interested in doing this at my own pace.

I searched zillow for comps based on zip code & there was nothing close to the location or size or cost. Is there some other place to search?

How much less than asking can I offer without blowing it? I can use the other as a reference point but I don't have any that actually sold to rely on. There's a pretty big difference in the cost if I just go by this equation.

Thanks for your advice.

Comments (36)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals