SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
66and76

building a long closet made of six vintage doors

66and76
13 years ago

This is my first post to this forum. I'll try my best to describe my remodeling problem.

Our house is 100 years old. The front hall is 27 feet long, 7 feet wide, and 12 feet tall. It is a shotgun design with a set of French doors at the end opening into the back hall. The back hall is 15 feet long, 9 feet wide, and 12 feet tall.

I recently purchased a matched set of six, vintage, dark stained, heart pine doors (one 36x84 and five 17x84)that were never bored for knobs. I would like to have a 15 x 2 foot closet built on the long wall of the back hall making it the same width of the front hall and giving my family a LOT of storage.

There would be two sets of French doors, one 36" door, and one 17" door. The spacing between each door/set of doors would be about 12 inches finished in wood, stained to match the doors.

My questions are, will it look strange to have a series of doors in a row down the entire length of the hall (like a long armoire)? And, will it look strange NOT to build a soffit above the closet, leaving a 4 foot space above it?

I plan to put a church pew on the other side, making the back hall kind of like a mud room.

I would appreciate your comments.

Comments (8)