SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adh673

Hybrid Carpet/Hardwood Stairs

adh673
13 years ago

I'm on decision overload and need some help.

I am remodeling my first floors (kitchen, bath, windows, floors, etc) and part of it is putting in new walnut wide plank random width floors. My front staircase is a "birdcage" style and not particulary interesting but it is central since the house is a center hall colonial.

We will be adding some molding to the staircase and putting in new king newel posts, balusters (white), banisters (walnut). I thought about changing the stair carpet to hardwoods but my husband liked the carpet and I wondered about noise levels with my kids thumping up and down. And then there is the cost, we were already over our plan so I decided to postpone on the stair treads.

Then I saw this:

{{!gwi}}

And I thought- maybe having a hardwood bottom step would be nicer than the fuzzy carpet edges. But I wasnt sure if it would be good or not, but i priced it out. It's like $600 for a bottom walnut step. So now I'm wondering if its a good idea.

Then that sends me back to whether I should just get the treads and do it all. The treads are about 70 each plus labor and i have no idea what labor is.

Can someone help me? Here are some bad angles of the current stairs but you can sort of get the general idea.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

We COULD put the money into it but not sure if the value is there to do it, esp. with everything else that is in play.

THANKS!

Comments (4)