SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanka_gw

1964 house in rural area hasn't sold in 9 mos; new broker says...

susanka
16 years ago

Hi, everyone. I posted months ago about getting no offers on our house in 6 mos of listing; we renewed for 3 months with the same broker, and still have nothing.

We've talked with a new broker (the one everyone here suggested). We met with her, and liked her very much. She has suggested a $13,000 drop in our listing price and in fact says she thinks we may end up about $23,000 below where we had it. At 23 below we'll lose $10,000 on what we paid for it a year ago. (We bought the house to live in while we built a new one.) We are also considering trying to rent the house, and have told the new realtor this and that we'll make up our minds about trying to rent it by this Friday. The previous realtor and this one both have said our house is in perfect shape. It was built in 1964, is empty since we moved, and is new-house clean. It's paid off, we don't have to sell it immediately, but of course are losing the potential rental or sale money on it, with which we had hoped to pay off the loan on our current home.

My question is this: Our prospective realtor has asked us to sign a 10-month contract (through the end of September). I told her this morning we'd prefer a 6- or 7-month contract, through June, so that if it hasn't sold by that time we can try again to rent it. It will rent for about $1000 so by September end we'll have lost another $10,000. Her response was that if we wanted a contract only through June she would be hesitant to take it as a listing because she would have done all her presentation work, internet, etc., and then wouldn't have it through the highest marketing time.

What are your thoughts/suggestions in regard to this? Seems to me like a tough position for her to take. There aren't any other realtors out here I'd be willing to list with, and she has a great Internet presence. What's the best way to try to negotiate this, or should we just (if we decide not to try renting) give up and go along with it?

Thanks for any ideas you can share on this.

Comments (18)