SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thomaskuhn

Installing new tile around Gas Fireplace - Have Question

thomaskuhn
12 years ago

I am currently working on removing the tile from around this Heatilator brand gas fireplace. Here is a before photo:

I have started removing the old tile using a multi-tool to cut the drywall out. Those things work great! Well, after getting a few chunks out, I can start to see what I will have to do.

I noticed that the drywall behind the tile did not really sit flush with the face of the fireplace but cantilevered inwards towards the opening of the fireplace. The tile was cemented on so that it sits parallel to the wall. The remaining gap was filled with some mortar. Here is an angled photo:

So here is the big question. The new tile/stone I want to put up is this...

As the photo shows, it can flex along its seams. I need to figure out the best way to approach this. The Heatilator guide says that I can put Non combustible material on the metal sections of the fireplace including "High Temp Sealant" such as RTV103 or Rutland Appliance Mortar. #63 or equivalent.

I as thinking cement board to cover over the box, but that might not sit flush. Shoud I just use a fire resistant mortar and put on a thick application?

Does anyone know good way to handle this situation?

Should I post in the fireplace forum?

Comments (10)