SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aokat15_gw

walk-in pantry or mudroom?

aokat15
14 years ago

We have initial drawings done for our large addition/remodel. We just bought a 1950s ranch and are adding about 1300 sq feet along the back to make the kitchen and family room larger and to add a hearth room and master suite. I'm not sure how to post pics, but I'll try to post the layout shortly. As of now we have a 6x7 mudroom planned off of the kitchen going towards the back stairs and side entrance. The idea was to have it be cubbies, etc., with some shelves for large pantry item storage. Here is my dilemma... I really wanted a mudroom but the garage is at basement level, so I'm wondering if a main floor mudroom makes sense. Do I really want everyone trekking up the stairs and down a hall (albeit not very many steps down the hall but still) before taking off shoes, etc. If not, should I think about adding cubbies down in the basement closer to the garage entrance and make this 6x7 room a full walk-in pantry? I could do all open shelves or a prettier butler's pantry... Thanks in advance for the help - I had been so set on getting a mudroom (didn't have one in the last house) but now I'm not sure if it's the best use of space in that location... would love your thoughts. I know this isn't purely a "kitchen" question, but I figured you all would have good insight on pantries, utility rooms etc., off the kitchen. Don't know if this is easy to follow without pics, so I'll work on uploading the design. Thanks!!

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County