SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julie94062

Hairline crack in Typhoon Bordeaux - Kevin?

julie94062
14 years ago

Actually, it's just a very faint hairline crack about 8" long. Not deep or wide, but I can definitely feel it. Just noticed it yesterday and it's in an area (next to sink, over dishwasher) that gets a reflection from the undercab lights, and gets wiped a few times a day, so I'm sure it's new.

It's different from all the "crack-like" (fissure?) areas of TB that are smooth and polished, and it doesn't follow any of those crack lines (although it is meandering, not straight). Also, it's not coming from the sink or anything...it's about 5" from it.

The granite's been in for about 7 months and although I don't baby it, I haven't put hot things on it without something under them. I did, however, put a hot cookie sheet down in that spot for maybe 30 seconds the other day.

(Also, no one has stepped or sat on it).

So, dear Kevin, a few questions...

Would that cookie sheet have done it?

Do I need to do anything with it? I assume I do, so that it won't get worse.

What DO they (you) do for it? What's involved?

Thanks, thanks, thanks!

Julie

Comments (5)

• azstoneconsulting
    14 years ago

Julie-

Can you post pics?

Well, from your description - it sounds like a QUACK - especially IF it walks,
    talks, swims & looks like a duck.. sorry - I just HAD to throw that in there.. HA!

Seriously - what you have described does sound like a crack - it's either been
    caused by the sudden change in temperature (thermal shock) from the hot
    cookie pan (which IS plausible).

OR, your house is s
    ettling and a change in the plane of the cabinets transferred
    up into the stone causing the crack.

OR, you are in a fault zone and tremors or seismic activity has caused a shift
    making the crack appear.

OR, somebody DID step or sit on the stone causing the crack, and no one is
    "fessing up" to the dirty deed - except the two usual suspects - "Not Me" and
    "I Don''t Know".... we can NOT rule out a human stepping on the stone....

ANY ONE of these causes could have been responsible for the crack you now see....

The remedy is pretty simple.

As far as doing anything with it - the crack will now be there forever - depending
    on what the cause is - it may get bigger - but it won't get smaller.

IF it's something you can live with - and you can only see it, but not actually
    feel a break in the surface of the stone

You can seal it, and keep an eye on it... AT this point - that's about all you can do
    since you don't have an actual break in the surface of the stone....

It it eventually DOES break the surface and you can FEEL a crack as well as SEE
    one - you can apply penetrating epoxy to the crack - or CA glue, and fill
    the crack itself - either of these can be done by your fabricator pretty easily.

hth

kevin

• julie94062
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Kevin!

Hmmmmm, now that you mention it, we are in the SF Bay Area, sitting just about right on top of the San Andreas fault :-) So the house settling is a definite possibility. Or maybe it's a combination of things.

I can "feel" it on the surface, but just barely. I think I'll keep an eye on it for now to see if anything else develops before calling the fabricator (who is great, BTW).

Tried to take pics, but all you can see in them are the TB patterns!

Thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it.

Julie

• weiss528i
    14 years ago

I thought you could put hot pots directly on top of granite....Perhaps I should rethink using granite as my countertop surface ...

• ellendi
    14 years ago

This is a good question. I have been protective of my granite because it is new. But, are you alllowed to but a hot pan on it?

• ccoombs1
    14 years ago

I think it depends a lot on the granite. Many of the "wild" granites have veins and fissures all throughout them. That's what gives them character. But it is also what causes them to be a bit more delicate than other granites. I think I heard once if the granite has mesh on the back, then you should be more careful with it. The mesh was put there because it is more prone to breakage. The mesh helps keep it from cracking until it gets fabricated and installed.