Houzz Logo Print
vigna_caracalla

How do average people afford down payments, Part 2

vigna_caracalla
9 years ago

The original post exceeded the follow up limit:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/realestate/msg031335283934.html

There is something I'd like to point out. Another poster said:

"I disagree with the above opinions. Contributing others' success to their 'luck' is ridiculous. For example, no amount of "support" from family could allow a student graduate from top tier school in challenging majors with a sterling GPA. They have to WORK for it.

Hiring managers/business owners will always pick top talent for job openings to fulfill their business needs. Believing successful people are being put on the pass to by their families without their own talent and tremendous effort is a fantasy to say the least.

Numerous home owners spend years working their tails off to establish themselves and saved up downpayment. Postings from rivkadr and popsicle_toe's ..etc. on this thread are good testimonials.

Life is full of choices, priority, goals and obstacles. Choices and priority come with consequences. Making choices and priorities to fulfill goals and deal with obstacles definitely are our responsibilities."

I hope what I said wasn't interpreted as I propose people to not be responsible for their decisions.

The fact is, many people get to the life they have because the right things happened at the right time. Many people don't earn their jobs-- they networked and knew the right people, who vouched for them to get a job. I said supportive parents because parents who do support their children's life goals are more likely to see their children reach their goals. People who have constant friction with their parents aren't going to have the same trajectory in reaching their goals (if they do) as people whose parents are supportive.

Many people don't earn their down payments all on their own, but end up receiving thousands of dollars as a "gift" from both sets of parents so they can use their saved money to pay the rest of the mortgage. So in other words, some people really do get lucky. They don't necessarily earn it, which is why the "average" person has to work so hard. That's often why the average person will work their tail off but often not see anything come of it until later in life. Honestly-- when I look at my situation, it seems like no amount of hard work will yield anything, but I continue to work and earn what I can because I want it. In no way was I saying people shouldn't work.

Comments (77)