SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grlwprls

Painting an attic bedroom

grlwprls
10 years ago

I'm about to start painting my daughter's attic bedroom aqua (as per her request...she's 13 and it's only paint, right?) She's liking SW Aquaduct.

My plan had been to blend the top three colors on that strip into a sort of ombre effect; however, the lady at the paint store says that the natural shadows, angles, and generally poor lighting of the space won't allow for one to appreciate the effort blending these colors would require. Okay. Fair enough. Sad teenager, but we can deal.

But...the paint store lady also said that I should paint the entire space out in one color. Even the little 2'x20' "ceiling" to make the space feel taller. Ummm, what?

This is a pretty deep color for an all over application (in my opinion) and right now the ceiling is painted the same dirty yellow green as the walls and I think it just feels claustrophobic. On the other hand, this city has a boatload of attic conversions, so maybe she knows what she's talking about?

If I were going with the lightest color on the strip, I'd probably do it without hesitation as it's only a wisp off white, but yowza. I already think this mid strip color is going to look like I dropped a swimming pool upside down on my house (since you can see into the attic from the second floor).

Do you think that going with the color *above* my daughter's selected shade on the strip will feel closer to her desired darker shade if it's painted on every drywall surface that stands still long enough to be painted?

I'm not swatching because...well, my daughter isn't all that concerned about the nuances of color. She just doesn't want white walls like we have everywhere else. I just don't want to have an aqua blue cave.

Help!

Comments (16)