SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pupwhipped

Anyone have Pottery Barn Stratton bed with baskets?

pupwhipped
13 years ago

Just wondering if anyone has this Stratton bed with the baskets. I've read and even was told by PB sales lady that you must put a rug pad between the mattress and the platform as the mattress will slip otherwise. This concerns me a bit...does the rug pad REALLY solve this problem? I love the look of the bed and having the extra storage is a big plus for my situation. I do envision walking up to the bed and whopping my toes on it. Ouch! Anyone?

Thanks for reading,

pupwhipped

Here is a link that might be useful: PB Stratton bed with baskets

Comments (47)

• bleigh
    13 years ago

I think it's really pretty and can solve storage issues in small room/house. IF you know someone who is remotely handy and you decide to buy the bed, maybe they can attach a lip around the edge for the mattress to sit inside. Maybe that remotely handy person could get the dimensions of the frame and probably make it for you in a day or two?? I know this has nothing to do with your question, but the price for that bed is outrageous!! It's only made out of three hardwood boxes with a piece of plywood on top. It does not even come with a headboard?? I'm sorry if my comment/suggestion is uncalled for...I just know people who've made beds similar to that for around $100 (including the headboard).

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey bleigh, I know what you are saying and I appreciate it. But, I guess at this point, I'm picking my battles. We've been renovating our 1952 lake place for 2+ years. The kitchen we totally contracted out as we could not do it ourselves...and the bath reno, as well. But now, we (hubby mostly cause I can't even sew on a button) are drowning in chores. Right now he is stripping 50+ years of paint off a bank of casement windows, then reglazing the glass panes...yada, yada, yada. We have a "gotta do" list that may outlive us. HA! Hubby is saving us tons of $$$ on soooooo many things. But with this bed, I just wanna "choose" one and get on with it...but don't want to get the wrong bed. We have the money for this purchase. But, I know what you are saying, our dear Pottery Barn sure thinks alot of their stuff. But can I point out, for that price, the lovely baskets are included. LOL!!!!!!

Thanks for replying. I, for one, would NEVER take offense at anyone who took the time to offer their thoughts to me. That's why I asked!

pup

• Related Discussions

Anyone recognize these Pottery Barn mirrors/candle holders?

Q

Comments (8)
    Thanks, but I have done a general search on eBay many times (I've searched: pottery barn mirror/mirrors/candle holder/holders/votive...). But if I knew the exact name it would save me a lot of time. I could also call the outlets and see if they have them. I tried to call once and describe it but they didn't really want to go look all over on the sales floor when they could just type the name in the computer to see if they have it. So knowing the exact name would actually be helpful.
    ...See More

Does anyone have Pottery Barn's Stella Quilt?

Q

Comments (7)
    Hi, I found this while searching for a twin Stella quilt for my daughter's room- we currently have the crib set. I painted 3 walls light pink (the color of the back of the quilt), and the accent wall is striped with (from top): 15" darker yellow, 4" dark pink, 15" light yellow, 4" same dark pink... It repeats down the wall, and I ended up with 3 dark yellows and 2 lights- that's the only thing I wish I had done differently- think I should have done 3 lights and 2 darks... If you give me your email I can send a picture. I'm really happy with the bedding and am searching for the twin quilt since she's ready to be out of her crib!
    ...See More

Has anyone sanded Pottery Barn furniture??

Q

Comments (2)
    Their description states 'kiln dried hardwood chosen for it's unique character' without specifying species so it's quite possible there's a mixture of woods. Unless you have experience refinishing and matching different woods, I'd try a plan B.
    ...See More

Refinishing Pottery Barn bed

Q

Comments (27)
    if the support leg in the middle matches the rest of the bed, bring that into a paint store. they should be able to help you choose a matching stain or may advise on some other product. then go to an art store and find a really good quality, tiny brush. you'll want to apply the stain only to the scratches and not get it on the surrounding wood. practice in a less-noticeable area (you can quickly wipe the stain off before it dries). don't use those furniture touch up pens or crayons. they're crap. the ink in the pens fades to a completely different color over time (at least, the water based ones do). the crayons never seem to really fill in and can wipe off easily.
    ...See More
  • justgotabme
    13 years ago

There are plans linked below, for a bed like the PB, from Knock Off Wood. You might email her and ask if she has a tip on fixing the problem of the mattress slipping, but I think this idea I just drew up would work.

{{!gwi}}
    Click on drawing to see enlarged version.

You may also be interested in this Queen Size Captains bed..

Here is a link that might be useful: Knock-Off-Wood's Full Size Storage Bed.

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

OOps. I was busy drawing and didn't see you reply to bleigh.
    Said in my best Gilda Radner impression..."Never mind."

• fripper
    13 years ago

It's uncanny that a post about this very bed showed up this week. Just 2 days ago, DH picked up a PB brochure at our local BM store which showed this bed in a beautiful room with fabulous bedding. He absolutely fell in love with it! Says it's perfect for our little condo in FL and made me get online to check the price. Can't believe "Mr. Cheapo" (to put it nicely) is still considering it, especially since most of the things we purchased for this little condo came from local thrift stores in around the Keys. Now he's talking about a $1,000+ bed with no headboard! Part of his argument for it is that it comes with 6 of those neat baskets. Good grief! FYI ... a year or so ago, that little brochure Lowe's sends out showed how to make one from stock kitchen cabinetry with a piece of plywood on top. When I mentioned this to DH, he said, "But where would you get those cute baskets?" Go figure ...

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much Emily Lattella!

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

Actually igloo there's a good chance you could make this bed for about two hundred which is what Ana wrote at Knock Off Wood. I made a bench for less than fifty dollars. Mine was only 48 inches wide instead of the 55 to 60 inch wide ones she uses for the bed, but my guess is all three that size could be made for around two hundred. Depending on the cost of the wood now. I made that bench about two years ago.

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much everybody, especially Igloochic. I was really hoping there would be someone out there who had the bed. I think you've just about sold me. HA! I, too, had heard the bed was very heavy. I was really mainly concerned about the slipping problem...well, and the toe stumping thing.

One really good thing is that I was told by the sales lady at PB that if you order it through the store instead of online, the store will come and get it/take it back for any reason if you're not perfectly happy. That makes me feel better about it.

And here's my justification...I got the full size headboard for my other bedroom for free as I found it shoved up under the kingsize bed in this room...previous owners had left it. So see, it's all gonna work out in the end.

Thanks again for the information...very helpful!
    pup

• bleigh
    13 years ago

Igloochic, not to be argumentative about your comment,
    "It's a very well built product, NOT something you can knock off for 100 bucks. No way," but unless you've seen what I"m talking about you can't make that judgement. Fortunately there are several master craftsmen in my family and I guarantee you that this style of bed was made for around $100. Someone who is somewhat handy could make this piece easily as it does not take a master craftsman to make this. Materials in other locations may cost more so obviously that would drive the price up a bit...

Anyway, like I said, dont' want to be argumentative. Just wanted to stand up for my own comment and experience.

• jenva2010
    13 years ago

Have you considered the Cynthia bed from PB? It costs more than the Stratton, and only has drawers available rather than baskets, but it comes with both a headboard and a footboard, so it seems unlikely the mattress could go anywhere. Also, it has what looks like a couple inches' worth of space between the bottom of the drawers/footboard and the floor, so less chance of toe-stubbing.

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

The rug pad DOES fix the mattress slipping, unless you get extremely ... uh ... energetic.

• saltnpeppa
    13 years ago

I just wanted to give you something to consider....now my problems is in a child's room (boy!) so it may not apply. He has white shelves under a bench where I keep baskets for toys - we are having problems with the baskets scratching the white woodwork as he pulls them in and out.

Does anybody else have this problem? Any solutions? Felt on the bottom of the basket?

Smiles:)

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jenva2010, you had me going there a little while with the Cynthia bed. I guess I've always really wanted the baskets, but I was seeing some benefits to the Cynthia so I was considering it. Then when I put in King size bed in antique white on the order detail, it said it would not ship till September...sooooooo, I guess not?

Lazygardens...very, very good to know. This will be going in a guest bedroom believe it or not, but it's in a house built in 1952 that has NO storage. Guess I'll have to find a way to discourage guests from any...well, ya know. Or at the very least only put the old folks in that room, but I guess there's no gurantee even with that. Maybe I'll come up with some cute saying and cross stitch it on a plaque. Hey, this might be fun...anybody got any ideas for my cute saying? HA!

Scoobyruby, that's a little concerning. I had not thought of that possibility. Good to know. Is is just chipping on the bottom or is it on the sides, too. Hmmmmmm.

And Bleigh, I looked at the plans that justgotabeme (Emily Latella) posted and I did find them interesting. If my husband didn't have 800 other things he's doing on this house, I might ask him to take a whack at it. But I know if I did right now, he would either divorce me, or call the men in the white jackets and have them take me away.

Thank you all,
    pup

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

I'm confused. Am I "Emily Latella"?

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yeah, your post above...Gilda Radner...Emily Latella.....never mind. LOL!

pup

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

OH!
    I forgot all about that being the characters name! I feel really dumb now. If you notice I wrote that at 3:15am which where I'm at it was really 4:15am. I'd not been to bed yet. I must have been brain dead.

• tmkb
    13 years ago

Pupwhipped,

Here's another storage bed for your consideration, this one is much cheaper than the Pottery Barn bed. I've ordered one to use for guests. I considered purchasing the Stratton bed before finding this cheaper alternative, but decided the price was too high. I only paid $499 with a free shipping coupon, see if you can find a good coupon like that, and it ends up being a really good deal, I think.

Here is a link that might be useful: JCPenney Dover Bed

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Girl, you need to get to bed earlier. Yikes! Don't feel bad...at first I was thinking it was Roseanne Roseannadanna that said it and almost wrote that. Then I cheated and googled it and it indeed was Miss Emily Latella. Gosh, Gilda was so funny......and so missed.

pup

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    13 years ago

tmkb, oooohhhhhh that bed looks nice. And the price! Whaaaaaaaaa, why do I want the one with the stupid baskets?!? I'm gonna do some thinking about it. I also saw a lamp on JCP site linked at the bottom of the bed page that I really like. Thank you so much for posting this to me!

• saltnpeppa
    13 years ago

Pup,
    Since yours is going in a guest room, I'm sure you won't have the scratching that mine has done. These baskets are pulled out several times daily by BOYS!! And they could care less about being delicate with anything:)

Smiles:)

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

pup, I wish I could make myself to get to bed at a decent time all the time, but there are nights I just can't.
    Gilda was so very talented. Such a loss.

• lisajaye_sbcglobal_net
    13 years ago

Anyone else having issues with mold under matteress.Seams there is a issue with ventilation in the center causing mold.

• lisajaye_sbcglobal_net
    13 years ago

Have to bought pb stratton. Am not happy. We put our tempur pedic on it and within foue month bed was sagging to middle. Flip and oh my god. There was so many colors of the rainbow, mold. Yuck..Think it is the design of the bed. No circulation under it. Yes those three boards warp also. No issue of mold on outside above drawers just in the middle. Anyone else have this issue

• Martha Hicks
    8 years ago

Ah, this is an ancient thread but I'm hoping to get some good feedback from igloochic. I just bought this "system" from a consignment store. Six of the drawer boxes. I bought it for a rental and I'm hoping this will have some versatility as this room may be used for kids at times, a couple at others. My understanding is that it can be made into two twins or one queen size? Is that correct? I'm also thinking I can get three pieces of twin bed sized plywood and use dowels to attach to two of the boxes to make three twin beds.

• donnalangone
    8 years ago

I'm five years behind these posts, but am considering getting this bed and am wondering if the original poster has this bed and how they like it. Thanks.

• stoofie
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have the Stratton bed (with the drawers though) - we used a rug pad and it worked perfectly fine. never moved an inch. 5 years later it is now in our guest room and doesn't see much use so I took the pad off. Also, no mold issues. Maybe the pad helps circulate the air?

• donnalangone
    8 years ago

Thanks. Does this bed have slats or solid wood for the mattress?

• MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

I have two Stratton twins with baskets. We have only had them about 2yrs, but in an oceanfront house so humidity is a bit high and it is often closed up and empty. No mold. The mattresses we have do slide a bit, but they are twins and not heavy (Ikea memory foam).

The beds are very heavy and good quality and we all like them a lot.

KSWL2 has them too, in a basement.

• User
    8 years ago

We do have two twins and purchased the cushions/mattresses from Pottery Barn also. No sliding, no sign of mold, located in a finished basement in humid Georgia.

• stoofie
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Donna, the mattress sits right on top of the drawer/basket boxes (there are 3, and they are very heavy/sturdy). there is also a panel for the gap in the middle, which screws into all 3 boxes, keeping the bed together.

• shanalyns
    7 years ago

We have this bed in King. The rug pad 100% solves any mattress slipping.

• Diana Poles
    6 years ago

Did anyone figure out what caused the mold in the earlier posts? I really like this bed but I don't want problems down the road

• djlwestisland
    6 years ago
    Have had this bed w/baskets for 6 months. Love it!
    Like a lot of you, I searched high and low for a copycat.
    I was shocked when I found similar baskets. Expensive and not great quality. Finally broke down and ordered it.
    Not sorry!!! It’s beautiful, made very very well, sturdy!
    It’s so worth it!
  • Jeff Luck
    6 years ago

Does the Stratton bed have to be assembled? I was considering buying for my bedroom upstairs which has a very narrow staircase. If it is one piece it will never make it up the stair well.

• Jeffrey Becker
    5 years ago

For you owners of the PB Stratton with baskets - we are seriously considering the purchase. I've never owned a bed without a headboard. Is everyone happy with the purchase? Any regrets? Did anyone go back and add a headboard? Would love to read your thoughts. Please share. Thank you very much.

Here's the link: PB Stratton with baskets

• speg61
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I'm really late to this party but I am considering the bed as well. We prefer no headboard as we plan to use as a daybed against the wall. I like the look and I've looked high and low and nothing comes close. I'm more worried about the weight as we won't be able to get to the baskets on one side of the bed. Also, how low profile is it?

• HU-875417863
    4 years ago

We own the bed, really like it. However, a wheel on one of the drawer slides broke, and the slide has neither a part number nor the manufacturer. PB is infamous for withholding parts and manufacturer names. Any ideas? Thanks everybody.

• speg61
    4 years ago

UPDATE: I did order the bed. It's a beautiful bed. Very solid and well made. We put a 10,5 inch mattress on top of it and it sits up very high. A rug pad keeps it from sliding. Yes, it is very heavy and you cannot easily move it to get to the baskets against the wall. I guess Christmas items will go there. It would even make a nice place to hide things as well. I would say that is the biggest drawback to the bad, we love it otherwise.

I wondered if I could get the hinges that attaches the three sections together if one should break. Not good that PB doesn't supply parts.

• HU-875417863
    4 years ago

I called PB again, they found the order and understand the question about the needed part. But I'm getting the feeling nothing will come of it, as they forwarded it to their "technical" team. Either they can lead me to the replacement part or not. Guessing not, won't hold my breath. Hope I'm wrong.

• amgviolin
    3 years ago

So, I am super late to this thread but I scored a king stratton bed with baskets on CL for $100. I was looking to buy the Stratton bookcase headboard but they discontinued it. Has anyone had any luck finding a knockoff version of the headboard that would work with the Stratton bed? Thanks!

• Hes s
    3 years ago

Hi there! New to the Stratton party! We are considering the Stratton with headboard, we love the look. But the price is so $$$ are folks happy with it? Is it worth it? Did anyone find it cheaper?

• HU-834376862
    3 years ago

Can anyone tell me about putting a full size mattress on this vs a queen size mattress? How does it fit both/either?

• anne_0916
    2 years ago

Totally worth it! We’ve had ours for about 10 years and we have moved with it from 2 apartments to 2 houses and just now swapping it out with a sleep number because of back problems ... turning it into shelves tho by stacking them up!

• L M Hernandez
    2 years ago

Hi I bought this bed with the pottery barn Montgomery headboard for my daughter. She may be taking it now that she is moving. Has anyone been able to move it and if so how? It is so heavy. If she doesn't take it, I will be selling it. I have original receipt. Would accept half as I only bought it 3 years ago and she hardly slept on it.

• Carol Hall
    2 years ago

Hi all,

We're looking for two Stratton beds in twin which does not seem to exist and i got to thinking maybe if we got the King size we could cut out the slats to divide it in half and make a different platform. Any owners of a king out there who could advise on this idea of mine?

• Sheli GIE
    last year
    last modified: last year

Yoga mat under my daughters

mattress works perfectl!