SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donaldsg

Please help with outer-space-themed kid's room

donaldsg
13 years ago

We want our little boy to switch bedrooms and have promised him we will decorate the new room however he wants. He's asked for an outer space theme with dark blue walls. I've got the Olive Kids Out of this World comforter and Wallies wall decals (see below) and am happy to paint the ceiling dark blue, but I'm struggling with what to do about the walls.

Bedding - http://www.amazon.com/Olive-Kids-World-Toddler-Comforter/dp/B000KZCT0O

Wallies - http://www.amazon.com/This-World-Kids-Bedding-Olive/dp/B00260N2CA

I love the look of the Wallies decals on the dark background, but I am unsure about painting the entire room dark blue. The room is small with lots of light (windows on three walls) and with the already white trim it would have some of white, but still I worry that it will looked closed in.

So should I:

a) paint the entire room dark blue and put the decals on the wall,

b) paint three walls lighter and one wall dark and put the decals on the dark wall, or

c) paint all the walls a lighter blue and put the decals on the darker ceiling?

(Can you put those things on the ceiling? Will they peel off?)

Secondly, how do I choose a blue? I don't like the bright blue that is the main background on the bedding so should I just pick a blue I like? Or pick the curtain fabric first and then co-ordinate the wall colour?

And how far should I carry the space theme? I've got glow-in-the dark stars to stick on the ceiling and a planets mobile to hang. I've thought about stencilling or stamping stars on the wall and/or on the curtains. I am sewing new curtain panels and could do them plain blue, but there are lots of options in quilting fabrics with star and moon patterns. Should I do patterned curtains or will it be too much? I don't want it to look overdone.

Too many decisions to make and only two weeks to get it done (he is away visiting grandma right now!)!

Comments (22)