SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caulk_king

sheriff sale information please

caulk_king
16 years ago

Hi -

Long story short, I have executed on a judgment owed me & the property is going to be auctioned. I can get all of this information from my attorney, but she's gone for a long holiday + if I know a little bit about the process, it'll cost me less time with her, so I really appreciate any input.

Let's say I have a judgment of $200,000. I have a 2nd lien on the property behind a bank. There is probably a balance due of less than $30K on the original loan.

1) Does the auction start at $30K (the balance due the 1st lien) or at $0?

2) If, it starts at the amount of the 1st lien & I bid $30,001.00 does that take the bank out of the equation? Will the bank send someone to bid?

3) If someone else runs the bid up, can I keep bidding up until my $200K & not have to pay more than the $30K to the first lien? I'm guessing the rest would just come out of the judgment?

4) If someone else bids it up & I let it go does that mean the bank gets their $30K & I get the rest?

5) What if nobody bids? What happens to the property - does it go back to the bank?

If you can think of anything else, please chime in! This is a totally new experience for me.

Comments (18)