SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
natureperson_gw

Covering books to display on bookcase

natureperson
14 years ago

Whenever I see beautiful looking books on bookcases, I wonder how to get that look. I have books, but not beautiful ones that are leather bound or all in the same color.

What would you do to get the look as shown in the below pic? Buy some pretty papers to cover them with? And then what about labeling the books, or would you leave the binding blank? It wouldn't look exactly authentic, but I can't come up with any other ideas to get a similar look.

What would you do?

Comments (102)

• ttodd
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I read somewhere (have no idea if it's true and wasn't inclined at the time to research the validity of it) that it is an old tradition to turn a book around onec you're done reading it. That way you know which ones have been read.

I like the look of the covered books but can't ever imagine myself doing it just for times sake.

As far as I'm concerened my books are for my pleasure and not for someone to judge me should they come into my home. If I wanted to cover them so be it. All I need is the title and author on the spine and maybe I'd print or copy the book description to tape to the back.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

Ttodd, that sounds like something my husband would dream up...he will not read a book more than once and hates having to watch a movie twice. Me, now, once is only a teaser. I reread books and watch movies over and over endlessly.

• Related Discussions

How to get a bookcase in this room?

Q

Comments (23)
    Jjam!! OMG - I was eyeballing that very same bookcase in my latest Ballards catalog....was thinking that the openess of the shelves wouldn't compete as much with the ET. But, DH has made me made some decisions :( - outside patio work or inside & with spring in the air I am choosing working on our patio!! (there will be pics soon & many questions - yall are so great!!) Sooooo, I am going to keep the curio cab that is there......I would like to get 2 stools or chairs to flank each side (that could be pulled up when we have guests) How do yall feel about these chairs from Pier 1? They are on sale.... Too much wood or should I go for a bench? Kilm stool - 17" high Thank you for the compliments....there is still something not quite right in here - I think it feels a little stale - looking for something to kick it up a notch or two!! Ting - the rug is Karastan English Manor Kensington. I looked on the Macy's website for it....not seeing it there. I have been soooo happy with this rug - nervous about the lighter background but it cleans up like a workhorse. DH burned our grass last week & came in with TONS of soot on his shoes, of course he walked right on the rug but it cleaned up perfectly. 3 dogs & kids, too. Smiles:) Here is a link that might be useful:
    ...See More

Built in book cases versus book cases from Crate and barrel or ?

Q

Comments (2)
    Glad to hear your girls like fairy tale characters. The book was rather difficult with a jillion characters to keep track of but maybe someday they will tackle that also. As far as a pic of the room, it doesn't exist except in my mind. Right now it is filled to the ceiling almost with stuff moved out of our kitchen which has been demolished and any furniture now in the room such as a loveseat and coffee table,etc. will be given/donated away. I'm even not absolutely sure of the arrangement in my diagram but so far I'm tending in that direction. May have to close the wall a bit between living room and dining room because I think a little less openness there might add some coziness and also give me room to put a corner cabinet in the dining room that will kind of be hidden but still useful for storage which is what this house has least of. Obviously, I don't have this all together but I do best one step at a time so if I could make up my mind about the bookcases, I think it would help me move on to the next step of deciding the rest of the furniture/room. Even the fireplace is unfinished and covered with cement backer board ready for marble (which we haven't picked out yet) but I think the bookcases because they will be first thing one sees when they enter the room should be decided first. Thoughts? The house though small is quite nice even if I do say so myself - especially once we get the kitchen remodel finished. (Though we also have a big job ahead of us doing the hardwood floors plus other tasks by contractors - this is not diy). The house is 75 years old but as I continue on this journey of remodeling, it seems my tastes have definitely moved from vintage/eclectic to modern/eclectic. Hence the reason for my indecision. I think the builtin bookcases will definitely bring me back from my modern direction. And I've heard it mentioned here that some think builtin bookcases give a room character. We are very fortunate that our house has so much character that it is not a major concern to add more. Though guess it never hurts. (sorry I'm rambling, it is late , will stop here...)
    ...See More

Need help with unbalanced bookcase

Q

Comments (58)
    Actually Marcella, while I so appreciate your comments I think you’re not seeing accurate colors and that is throwing you. The sofa is cobalt blue and the pillows add a splash of color to lift the dark cobalt. The chairs are a very soft almost sea foam blue green and the footstool, while a bit large perhaps, came with the chairs and had the same greenish blue in the paisley. It also adds additional seating. As I said in my previous posts, we intend to swap the chairs for smaller yellow barrel chairs that swivel. The great thing about the painting is that it has so many colors in it that it allows for a very colorful palette throughout the room. Everyone who comes in raves about the use of color and the space feels very cheery in person. I was really only looking for feedback on the balance of the shelves and I think by bringing in a white or light stained oval table and new more colorful chairs we will be able to bring the color throughout the room to balance the colors from the shelves better. Also, the painting on the fireplace does not work behind the table - we need to allow space for people to sit close to the wall which is why we’ve had to hang the other painting a bit higher. We don’t want heads hitting it and it’s really too big for that space. The living area is very bright and cheery and the painting over the fireplace works - you’ll all just have to trust me on that one. The colors of the kitchen and living area are very compatible. We just to need brighten up the dining space a bit to pull it all together. I also put the large Italian vase with sunflowers on a small table next to the fireplace and can already see that putting the right objet d’art there will provide the balance I was looking for. I’m out of town but will post better photos of more of the space later in the week when I return.
    ...See More

Bookcases, again. But only about bookcases this time I promise.

Q

Comments (22)
    Yes, and that is the first time that has been asked; "...do you have fruit on your books in that bookcase?" It turns out, believe it or not, I have a tchotchke shortfall. A dearth of doodads. I am just grabbing at things, including marble peaches which could roll off and leave a cannonball-like indent in my floors. Incongruous, you say? You mean you don't read by candlelight whilst slurping on peaches? I might scour the house looking for more stuff, but any doodads I might find are already busy doodadding wherever they are, amirite? Everytime I walk past this thing now I do something to it. First I threw out all the jackets. Then, I turned them around ... which meant I could've kept the jackets. Next I might chalk paint the whole thing, books and trinkets included. But rest assured, it is on its way out. She would turn the books around and add more. Go duke it out with Arapaho.
    ...See More
  • teacats
    14 years ago

Truer words never put to paper -- "Never judge a book by its cover"

Having real books of any sort hanging around does not a wise man (or woman) make ..... I've known lots of wise and canny folk that did not have books on display nor in bookcases.

AND -- I've known people that were a wealth of wisdom and knowledge from their books -- but foolish in the ways of the real world. For example -- Architects that designed award-winning buildings (like the ones at the small university I attended years ago!) -- BUT those buildings were miserable in the hot summer -- and freezing in the winter. The oft-photographed and much-lauded staircases were a nightmare in any weather BUT sheer hell in icy weather ..... thats the REAL world experience!

Seems another case for balance .....

• bronwynsmom
    14 years ago

I have enough trouble remembering where all my books are without having them (gasp!) backwards!
    But clearly it makes sense, in a photograph whose business is selling furniture, to keep the background suggestive but not distracting.

We have always liked the idea of a library dining room. My family has a long tradition of leaping up during dinner to look up something to make a point, recall a line of poetry or Shakespeare, or win an argument. Thanksgiving is pretty much a free-for-all, and we have a lovely time. So I need to know where things are!
    But this thread has made me think seriously about what I think of people based on their choices in books and pictures...where, what, how many. And I have to admit that I attribute personality and character traits to taste.

Oh, dear.

We have some ex-friends (it's a long story; never mind...) who, in the last five or so years, built their gazillion dollar dream house. They were meticulous about the architecture, and did a much better job of making a great traditional country house rather than one of those horrid, swollen, mansionoids that metastasize all over the lot.

They built a perfectly lovely paneled library. It has one wall of shelves, on which there are about 25 "objets," and maybe three dozen books. A third are decorating books; most of the rest are best sellers. No classics, no dictionary, no atlas, no Bartlett, no reference books of any kind. I could never walk into that lovely room without feeling that they were just not entitled to it!

So I am vowing to better clarify the line between discernment and judgement, and to try not to be such a Miss Prissy Pants. Sigh. Another bloody opportunity for growth...

• patricianat
    14 years ago

I really hate cleaning but I love a clean house. I learned years ago that paper is the biggest source of insects, mites and roaches in a house and living in the south, I am no stranger to how they multiply more quickly than rabbits.

So once my house was filled with computers (and my business was at home) and my house filled with books through the years including trade books, books that I had left over from my youth, books we bought along the way, books I inherited, books from our college days, books from our children's youth and their college days, paper associated with DOS, back in the days of DOS, I realized I had a home set up for bugs.

Whew, I finally got rid of DOS. I wanted to get rid of all that paper associated with it. So we had a bon fire since all the classified papers associated with it could not go to the landfill but would have to be burned.

I realized what bug traps I had set up with so many books and so much paper as there was residue of bugs everywhere that massive amounts of paper existed. (At one time we even had 7 sets of encyclopedias alone, not counting the gazillion books).

I wanted to declutter that. Is there anything you need that you cannot find on the computer? I no longer much read books or newspapers secondary to my eye problems with MS. I cannot manipulate the size of print therein. IF it is on the computer, whose print I can multiply 20 times the size it is and see fairly well, I can read it, plus I have a computer that is set up to do just that, one which I purchased through a charitable organization, where I could give and receive.

The books that my children did not want (along with their gazillion books from college that they did not want to haul to their new homes) with the books we had already read, plus the encyclopedias that are on line now allowed me to eliminate books, books, books, books. I gave classics from my childhood that are no longer permissible to my grandchildren so they could enjoy Tom Sawyer, Heidi, Treasure Island, Uncle Remus, Major Minerva and then I gae to the local library, to the Goodwill and to my children what was theirs.

Once that was done, without feeling any persecution, I gave many of my mother's and grandmother's furnishings to family, friends and Goodwill, things I knew I would never use. I gave my gardener and my housekeeper furnishings that they wanted.

I do feel better. I don't know where the bugs are living now, but I feel they are not at my house any longer. I was able to clean my attic of all the residue of bugs and have not noticed its return since. I also don't find the residual of bugs in bookcases. Yes, too much paper is just too much paper and with being green, meaning living paperless, without storing newspapers, magazines, books but recycling and reading on line, then go green. You can do other pretty things in your bookcases, check out the books you love to reread that you donated to the library, cuddle up and enjoy life without paper and dust mites, roaches and rodents. My asthma is much better as well.

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

I keep my old textbooks mainly b/c I can't see throwing them out and no one uses them any more so I can't sell them or give them away. I imagine we'll be using at least some of them for reference when DS gets into high school :-) We do have dictionaries in the house (very old) but no atlas or encyclopedias - and I can't see buying any when it's just as easy (debatable) to look something up on the Internet, and definitely less $$ than trying to keep up-to-date references in hardcopy.

If someone wants to fill the walls of their library with novels (not even the "classics" - gasp - I don't know that I've even read anything by Jane Austen) that's their choice. Same with just filling the shelves with "objets", if they don't have enough books to fill the shelves. If they actually *read* the best sellers, then IMHO that's better than filling the shelves with leather-bound "classics" they'll never read. Now if they keep all their paperback novels that they *really* read tucked away where people can't see them, and the library is just for "show", then that's just a waste of shelf space and $ IMO.

It wasn't leather, but my parents had a big book of all Shakespeare's works. I would love to have that book now, I guess my brother got it? No telling where my Nancy Drew (not re-covered) went. I don't know if DH's family even owned any books (and he said they didn't have a library in town when he was growing up). So we're starting off with college textbooks I've hauled around for 25+ years and multiple states (I did try to pare it down a little, but I'd rather get rid of paperback novels than textbooks), he's added to (at least we've only lived in 2 states since he went to college), and the kids' books. Alas, our "classics" (fiction) consist of some dog-eared paperbacks of Twain, a few Thackery, maybe some George Eliot (I don't know, they're all packed away). Unless you count every James Michener I could lay may hands on - most in hardcover - is Michener a "classic"? Tolkien? C.S. Lewis (though those are in DS's room along with Harry Potter, T. H White, , Little House series, etc.)? And of course the Magic Tree House (paperback) books of DS's I saved for DD (still in the attic), and Henry and Mudge paperbacks I got at Goodwill (18 at $1 each).

Except for Michener, I tend to read novels (when I had the time which wasn't often when I was working FT and less after I had kids) borrowed from the library - never could see spending the $ for them as I didn't tend to reread things. I did have (and love and read a few times) Colleen McCullough's (sp?) Roman series (First Man in Rome and the Caesar books) I had in hardcover but made the tough decision to donate them to library before we moved the last time - just too much stuff (Magic Tree House won out LOL!).

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

""Is there anything you need that you cannot find on the computer""

you're so right Patricia; I've given away all reference books.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

> Is there anything you need that you cannot find on the computer?

Yes, many, many things. So I guess it just depends on what you need to find. I don't mind dusting books. :)

Although I love reading on my ipod (Classics app has a wonderful interface), the fact is that a big old bunch of the stuff available via gutenberg.org is full of errors, typos, poorly chosen editions, and so on. So I'm not ready to give up my books just yet, aside from the need to browse references in a way not possible on a computer, or needing references not well transcribed to digital or only available as paid services online.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

Oops hit Post too soon. Meant to say, but I still think the OP should do her book covers if she likes them.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I love all the online information, but there's just something about books. I like the feel of them, their ease of use, and just looking at bookcases full of books! They're comforting.

• walkin_yesindeed
    14 years ago

A back issue of my beloved _Domino_ magazine had a story about India Hicks, the daughter of famed designer David Hicks. She lives on Bermuda or Antigua or some other idyllic place. One night, there was a blackout, and she and her husband decided to spend the evening recovering all their books with brown paper bags, cut up obviously. They wrote the titles on the spines so they could find the books again. Kind of like the brown craft paper suggestion you've already gotten.

So now all you need is a mansion on Antigua, a blackout, and some old paper bags -- have at it! (:

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

There are a lot of books that I can pick up, read, and give away. Both my complex and a trainstation I commute through have free book exchanges.

However, I have a lot of design, architecture, etc. books that I could page through over and over.

• leahcate
    14 years ago

Confess to not reading all responses yet, but I will...interesting thread! I want to share my immediate reaction to the pics of paper covered books from Cote de Texas. They demonstrate why I dislike this scheme....for ME. First, I love her blog....I'm a big fan. The beige books make a lovely design...very restful. However, those shelves made absolutely NO connection with my brain to books or reading. Trying to see them as books made me crazy...I felt a bit blind. I was sub- consciously groping, attempting to see the spines! So, no, I could never go this route. It just seems nuts to me, unless it's only as a design element, with the real books elsewhere, facing spine out!
    I must be a bibliophile. I like looking at my books, remembering what I've read, thinking about re-reading some, looking for a book club choice or a book to loan. And yes! I like having the pretty leather sets I may never read. I would not admire them if they were all alone on those shelves, though.
    Standing alone, the "books by the yard" make my lip curl.
    Covered -in-paper books do not. They simply make me scratch my head and wonder..."huh?" I do not 'see' them as books.

• peaches12345
    14 years ago

I just caught up with what has turned into an interesting thread, but it strikes me that a lot of posters are being unfairly characterized as being "judgemental". I don't "judge" anyone by what they read or how they display or not display their books. I just find it interesting to see what their interests are, what they enjoy reading and doing, and learn a little more about them. If someone displays cookbooks I know we have a lot in common and lots to talk about. If they display scientific books I know I have a lot to learn from them because I am not the least bit scientific. Philosophy? Not my choice to read, but I give them a lot of credit for intellectual curiosity. Bestsellers? We can compare favorite authors and books for hours and have a lot in common. You learn a lot about friends from looking at the books they read. Wrap their books or display books they have never read? Not my choice to do, but it certainly can be theirs. I think a lot of posters who said something the OP maybe didn't want to hear were doing no more than giving their personal opinion about displaying books and don't quite deserve the criticism they seem to be getting.

• patricianat
    14 years ago

No one is saying give away everything you own but you are never going to reread everything in your house, if you have any reasonable modicum of what would be referred to as a library. Much of that stuff I did not enjoy reading the first time, so why would I want read it again? Much of it I read as required reading or as reference and some I had to read a dozen times because it did not hold my interest the first 11 times.

Many of the design/architecture books (colorfully and beautifully illustrated, just like my gardening books) do make good eye candy so keep those, like coffee table books, they can be entertaining. You can have a few good books without being a bug despository.

• barb5
    14 years ago

I'm not sure why some people got so defensive either. I don't "judge" people by what they read, as in are they a good person or not. Rather, it just tells me a bit about them and their interests. Sometimes when I am in the home of someone with no books or newspapers, I wonder if they have dyslexia or some other problem that makes reading difficult. There are many ways to get information besides reading books.

I have always loved to read, and I have a real reverence for books. When the poster wrote "After all, they are only Books," I thought there is the rub. To me, the word books would never be paired with the word only.

But judge? No. DH only reads for information. He allows me my love of books, I allow him his love of engines. He has my highest esteem in all aspects.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I read that more as that they are only book covers, not meaning the value of their contents. I agree with NaturePerson. In the overall scheme of things, re-covering books in another material is just not that important.

• patricianat
    14 years ago

Barb5 said: I'm not sure why some people got so defensive either. I don't "judge" people by what they read, as in are they a good person or not. Rather, it just tells me a bit about them and their interests. Sometimes when I am in the home of someone with no books or newspapers, I wonder if they have dyslexia or some other problem that makes reading difficult. There are many ways to get information besides reading books.

I have always loved to read, and I have a real reverence for books. When the poster wrote "After all, they are only Books," I thought there is the rub. To me, the word books would never be paired with the word only.

But judge? No. DH only reads for information. He allows me my love of books, I allow him his love of engines. He has my highest esteem in all aspects.

LOL. If you want to know what they read, if not for judging, why? Perhaps, they are just more computer savvy or they have books but they do not put them out to impress their guests or perhaps they are private people who do not want you to know what they read. Why is it any of our business what our friends eat, drink or read as long as we share common interests? Hmmmmm.

• peaches12345
    14 years ago

Time for this thread to be closed.

• oceanna
    14 years ago

I have no problem with covered books and have seen some of the top designers do it. You can cover them with parchment, wallpaper, or any pretty paper from the art store. You can also cover them with fabric. But if you love the bound leather book look, why not search on CL and eBay, and in your local used book store for some of the genuine article?

• bellaflora
    14 years ago

Natureperson: I do this & didn't know it means I don't read. LOL. :-D

My grandfather loved his books and one of my job growing up was to cover his books w/ paper. It could be just brown paper, plain paper, or even old newspaper -- the whole point is to protect the books from dust & damage. Sometimes he gets fancy and made me do it w/ vellum paper or rice paper. When the cover is old or worn, we would make new ones. His books could be 100 years old and the covers were like brand new. It becamee such an ingrain habit I cannot imagine having a naked book on the shelves.

When I buy a book, the first think I do is to make a cover for it. I use plain white paper, or vellum, or nice prints. Wrapping paper, left over wallpaper are good too. I used to hand calligraphed the titles, but now I used a nice fancy font on those clear labels. On the front, you can use those big clear labels and put the title on the bottom right corner (or right upper, or center, whatever) ;-D

Children books are difficult to cover w/ paper. I got my kids wooden boxes for their books and the books are placed spines up inside their boxes which go in their book shelves. DS1 is so messy he just threw the books into the wooden buckets. *sigh* I had to buy him cabinets w/ doors for his books (and mess). Kids now day take books for granted and they don't treat their books right. I guess I should be glad that he read at all!

I love the look of black painted book cases, all the books covered in white paper, tittle hand written in black ink....

DH thinks I have OCD maybe he's right LOL I suppose we all need some degree of insanity to be normal. :-D

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

That embossed wallpaper paper would be pretty -- the type Oceanna showed a short while ago. Maybe it's called lincrusta wallpaper. It would be pretty to do them plain or in some of the faux paint finishes she showed.

Bella, those black cases with white books and handprinted labels sounds beautiful. Love the idea of beautiful labels done in calligraphy.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    14 years ago

Funny, I ran across your post after posting myself about the how to arrange the bookcases in my new (small) library.

My husband was looking the room over (after patiently moving bookcases back and forth so I could take pictures and try to decide where I wanted them), and said, "Well, youre almost ready to put the books in". Then he bent down to one of the boxes full of books stacked on the floor, saying, "Ohyoure not going to put ugly things in there, are you?"

Ummm

Most of our hardcovers are art books, textbooks, and the favorite authors we read over and over, and those will be fine; but now Im wondering if the paperbacks are going to look too sloppy! I have been thinking about which shelf ghetto to banish them to, but that would defeat any real plans at organization by topic, which to me is the only way that makes sense. I know that will give me a great hodgepodge of mixed sizes and covers. Havent thought this through yet.

• igloochic
    14 years ago

I actually love the hodge podge linnea and have both paperbacks and hardcovers mixed together. Mine are by subject (and I do have a special spot where all bodice ripping....what was the term) paperbacks are hidden (behind some reference books LOL).

Personally I do organize by topic, but I could do this and still cover the books. I like the idea, I'm just too lazy and since 1/3 of my books are cookbooks, it would bother me to have them covered (I don't have room for them in the kitchen so they're in the library).

This subject did make me laugh. All that meanness about books :) I love books, always have, always will, and have zero fear of bugs :) I love a smelly old library in an old home...heaven :) If I had allergies to the dust I'd take a pill and enjoy the room (but I've been in several old librarys that don't smell like dust so I'm guessing a cleaning deals with the issue).

When I posted a pic of my book room I received many comments that my bookshelves were too unorganized and should be done by size or covered. now organizing by size or covering is a sin....man this forum changes styles quicker than HGTV :oP

And it's an English tradition to turn the books spine in after reading. Back from the days when books were rare treasures and ordered just because you could order them. It was seen as a status symbol to just own a book. I was in a home in Germany (English couple) several years ago and asked about the turned spine books. The husband of the household told how he'd been raised with a grandfather who did this and did it with great pride to show how well read he was. He continued the family tradition :) I thought it was a lovely idea.

Maybe I should do that with the trash books...I'd look all well read and stuff :oP And yet you'd never know it was just another bodice burner I was actually reading heh heh

• bellaflora
    14 years ago

Igloo: it's bodice ripper ?? not burner I hope. That would be a bit sadistic LOL :-D

• shaun
    14 years ago

What an interesting thread.

When we built our office furniture we decided that some "professional" looking books would look nice in the book shelf. So an attorney friend gave us some old Law Books to put for display purposes. Hey we like the look haha!

Anyway, the books were so heavy the shelf was starting to droop.

See these books?
    {{gwi:1729865}}

There are no pages in them. Now they aren't so heavy! hahah!

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

how dare you, shaun, lol................ I know for a fact that you are not empty like your books, so I'll forgive you, lol......

I have room for more books in this armoire in the mbr; the middle shelf has leather bound classic books, really only for show.

The bottom shelf is where I have my current reading in progress, future reading or books to give away; looks messy.
    ( yes I know the throw cushion is too big for the chair, but DS brought it back for me from Korea , there's a red painting closeby that mirrors it,)

• shaun
    14 years ago

mitchdesj!! hahahahah!!!

LOVE those chairs. That's where I'd sit to read or watch tv, looks so cozy.

• camlan
    14 years ago

I've read this whole thread with interest. I have an old bookcase with glass doors that I inherited from my great-grandparents. And a lot of old books that I inherited from from my grandfather on the other side of the family. I deliberately put the old books in the old bookcase because they looked good in there. But there was also room for all my photo albums in the bookcase, so I put those in there as well. Only the albums didn't really go with the mellow colors of the old books. So I covered them with cheap paper in muted reds, blues and greens that a discount store used to wrap some fragile things I bought. And they look as though they fit in with the rest of the books now. There are also a couple of photo boxes in there that are a garish floral and I'm going to replace them at some point with boxes that fit the general scheme of the bookcase better, just to make the whole bookcase look nicer.

Grandpa covered a lot of his books; I suspect to protect them. I left the covers on where they were still in good shape; old white paper now colored more of a tea-stain, with red-edged labels for the titles of the books.

The rest of my books? The living room bookcases have the non-fiction and literature books (I was an English major). They're a mix of hardcover and paperbacks and I suspect the shelves look a bit messy, but everything is organized and I can find what I need right away.

The murder mystery and sci fi books lurk in the den. You have to know me really well to gain access to the den, so I'm able to keep my addictions hidden from the general public. So I guess I do organize my books to impress people--as you enter, you see "old bookcase with old, impressive looking books," in the living room you see proof that I was an English major and read literature and history and not unless I bring you to the back of the house will you discover just how much escapist fiction I read. I never thought about it this way before--when I moved in, it was more about "where will these bookcases fit" than what goes where. Now you all have me wondering if this is the message I should be sending people.

I really don't see anything wrong with covering some books to create a more uniform appearance. As I look at the older books I own, they almost all have solid color covers, mostly in green, red, blue or brown, with black or gold lettering. They present a far more cohesive appearance than newer books, with multi-colored covers and wild typefaces, even perhaps drawings or pictures on the covers.

I'd say cover the books if the result will make you happy when you look at them. The things in your home should bring you pleasure.

• joyce_6333
    14 years ago

I had the opportunity to visit the Kohler Design Center yesterday, and noticed in one of the bathroom displays that they had covered books in plain brown paper. It was very specific to this room, and looked really sharp.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Anyone who went to Catholic school in particular may remember covering their books. Some years we got book covers that were covered with ads like the placemats in a diner. Some people prefered brown grocery bags. The sleeve created inside the front cover was a good place to store your old quizzes.

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

The sleeve was also a good place to tuck a tiny card with the picture of a saint,
    if you were lucky enough to "win" said card by being the one with perfect attendance that week to 6:30 a.m. daily mass before school.
    Our nuns made us buy a roll of brown kraft paper to cover our books.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I didn't go to Catholic school, but that's what we did at school start too -- covered our books! Well, their books. Forgot all about that.

• hhireno
    14 years ago

Once my Dad brought home a case of book covers, I'm talking thousands of sheets. They were from a Navy recruiting office so they were a collage of pictures of sailors doing "exciting" things.

All of us kids used the plain, white inner side to be the side showing on our books. My father couldn't understand why we wanted the plain side. Because I'm not a recruiter? Because the pictures were cheesy? Because the white side then was a perfect blank canvas for notes and doodles and she loves him and space to cross that out when she now loved someone else.

• gayle0000
    14 years ago

I see there's controversy, so I'm inclined to not even read all the posts.

Natureperson, here's my rendition of book covers. I have a ton of books that I don't go to much anymore. I have a built-in shelf on my wall that I've struggled to decorate. Gathering some smaller books that actually fit the shelf space, and covering them somewhat uniformly was part of my decor for a while. Here they are...it's an older post off my blog.

• Bunny
    14 years ago

Once in high school, after a particularly painful breakup, my mom had me cover my binder with paper to cover all the LC+BLs that were now tragically untrue. In those days, you just didn't go out and buy a new binder. You bought a binder in the fall and made it last all year.

In public school, we also had to cover our books.

I guess that's what I think of when I see even prettily covered books on a shelf. It reminds me of high school.

The breakup? Ten years later, we married.

• bellaflora
    14 years ago

Yes I remember covering books beginning of the school year too. We also put on labels w/ our name & class so that they can be returned if they got lost.

Once I dropped my book on the way home, and this boy found it. He put it inside my desk for me but he sneaked in a love letter! God forbid I was only in 3rd grade haha.. :-D

Gayle: I never thought of using architectural paper -- how cool!

• zeebee
    14 years ago

This is a really interesting thread - I love reading about everyone's relationship with books and what books mean to them in their home.

I'm a reader and book lover and haven't covered a book since my high-school textbooks. For me, the dust jacket on a hardback or cover art on a paperback is part of the experience of the book, along with the font, the feel and color of the paper, the spacing and how the chapters are divided (one reason why a Kindle won't ever replace books for me). Because I'm an avid re-reader, I love handling my books and looking at the covers before I start my re-read, anticipating the good things to come. For those old enough to have bought vinyl records, remember how important cover art was to an album? I equate that same importance to my book covers.

Having said all that, I like the Martha Stewart guy's shelves. Wouldn't work for me but it looks fun.

• gldnfan
    14 years ago

I think it is funny - it happens a lot here ;-) - that you did not ask what people THOUGHT of the idea - you asked how they would do it. And you got a whole lot of unsolicited opinions (with sprinkles of judgment added in) on the idea itself.

Please don't let those opinions sway you from a look you like and want to emulate.

I would never have the energy - I have way too many unfinished projects as it is - to do it but I think it sounds like a fun creative way to express yourself using something utilitarian that we all have. I love beautiful papers and always wish I had ways to use them when I go to Paper Source and other stores like it. DH has a bunch of old business books that no one probably wants - it would be great to be able to use them in a fun way rather than cart them off the the recycle facility.

I don't think labeling is as big an issue as some people here do. We have a lot of overnite visitors who are big readers but almost all of them bring their own book vs look for one from our vast collection. My mom is a librarian and gets mad at me for buying any books at all! I am setting up a new library and plan to display mostly my gardening/Home design books as I collect them and they are fun for many of my like minded friends - those actually are the exception - many friends have looked through and borrowed those - but most are too pretty to cover anyway.

PLease post pictures of the end result!

• peytonroad
    14 years ago

I have to comment now, the OP simply asked a question, she did not ask anyone to respond on whether the books got read or not!

WHO CARES IF THE OP READ THE BOOKS???????

I mean come on people, some of you need to get a life!!

I like the ideas of the wrapped books, so Op you have my vote but actually those look like they have been painted!! Gasp, can you imagine the flaming I am going to get?

Also, why buy books when the library stores them for free!?

• neetsiepie
    14 years ago

Definitely a different strokes kind of decorating. I think it's pretty, just not for me. Same with the color coordinated books...it looks really cool, but I have to have my books grouped by subject or author.

I like to keep the dust jackets, but have some old books that were dust jacket free. I also have a couple of bookcases dedicated just to paperbacks.

DH thinks I'm weird for all the books (and bookcases) but I love my books. I can't pass 'em up at garage sales or antique shops. Don't let me loose in a bookstore. I recently went to a chain bookstore and they had a buy 4 get the 5th free, so naturally, I had to get 5 books.

I found a false book, that I use as my secret stash place. It's quite authentic looking, and I have it tucked in amongst some other books that look similar. I figure if a burglar broke in, he'd have a heck of a time going thru all my books to find my valuables!

I think if I had just a few books, I'd probably cover them in similar paper, as I said, it looks good. But it's not something I could do at my house!

• groomingal
    14 years ago

In regards to the OP- you could find some heavy quality gift wrap that coordinates- maybe a couple that compliment each other. If you have some small books large sheets of scrapbook pages should cover them.

Addressing the rest of the posts-
    There is a group of my family and friends that do a book swap but you never get your original book back. Read it, initial the first page (the blank one), pass it on. After everybody reads it, the last person puts a pre-printed label on that blank initialed page that says- take it, read it, enjoy it, and pass it on- the book then gets left in a public place such as a dr office.

It helps control the book clutter, I do not have space to store or display books. The best part is that book may fall into the hands of someone who otherwise might not have the opportunity to read the book.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Whoa, we caught a live one!

• bellaflora
    14 years ago

My friend who works at the library said the books she got back grossed her out -- you never know where it's been. At the library, they have bottles of Purell for librarians to clean their hands after they touching books that were returned... Remember that episode of Seinfeld when a book was borrowed & taken to the loo?? :-D

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

lol! I was just gonna mention the loo. I always wash the clear covers on library books when I get them home.

• groomingal
    14 years ago

bellaflora- she is right you never know where they have been. But there are nastier things that she probably touches- money, bathroom faucet handles, bathroom door handles, keyboards, and telephones.

I never watched Seinfeld regularly but I may have too look that episode up :)

• bellaflora
    14 years ago

groominggal: money is nasty. That's why we have credit card.
    Always touch faucet handles with a piece of towel paper after washing hand.
    Always open bathroom door handles with a piece of towel paper after washing hands.
    Use only your own keyboards.
    Public telephones are gross - that's why we have cell phones. :-D

Hey I was at mass last Sunday and this couple took out a bottle of Purell and cleaned their hands after shaking hands w/ me (you know the part where they say, peace b w/ u) ... that's kinda funny. :-D Some people don't like to hold hands saying prayers either. Once, I was reaching out to the lady next to me and she just looked at me like 'no way, are you nuts'. I guess she saw my kid wiping his snotty nose on my hands! :-D

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Hey I was at mass last Sunday and this couple took out a bottle of Purell and cleaned their hands after shaking hands w/ me (you know the part where they say, peace b w/ u)

roflll, Bella! That is too funny.

• leahcate
    14 years ago

peyton rd. remarked: "....the OP simply asked a question, she did not ask anyone to respond on whether the books got read or not!"
    and gldnfan wrote "...I think it is funny - it happens a lot here ;-) - that you did not ask what people THOUGHT of the idea - you asked how they would do it. And you got a whole lot of unsolicited opinions (with sprinkles of judgment added in) on the idea itself.

This all makes me smile, peyton, because these posts simply go the way normal conversations usually go.
    They aren't cut and dried with question/reply, but often fly far afield of the original subject. At my book club we often laugh as we find ourselves, once again, taken waaay off the book at hand. Here on forum we join together in our virtual living rooms, or 'round our kitchen tables and get carried away in just the same manner. I love it in RL, and on here, too.

• gldnfan
    14 years ago

I have to respectfully disagree with the analogy of a book group discussion and someone asking for advice IRL. Book clubs are meant to encourage lively debate.

If a friend showed me a picture IRL and said "I love this look - how would you go about creating it?" I would not give my opinion on the idea - she told me she loved it - what purpose does it serve for me to tell her I think it makes it look like she isn't a reader or that it looks contrived?

I think it is far easier for people to voice opinions and disregard feelings when a question is posed online.

THe OP expressed her own love for a certain look and a few other posters felt compelled to tell her the reasons it was a bad idea - why? I think it is unkind and unnecessary and represents a lack of concern for other people's POV.

I often do things that are outside the box so I am used to people at least raising their eyebrows a bit at my choices at times - but I could care less. It just seemed obvious in the response from the OP that she was influenced by other people's opinions about her taste and it made her question herself. That bothered me.