SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
californiagirl_gw

Design ideas for basement bath

californiagirl
11 years ago

We are down to designing the last bath out of 4.5 in our remodel/addition and I need some design inspiration and help. What would a "rathskeller" or "Gothic" bathroom look like? This is what DH wants. The sink is the biggest hold up to finishing.

The bath is a wet room, with a 3/4 curbless shower in an old limestone-faced house with black wrought iron railings. Upstairs interiors are mix of white painted and dark stained woodwork, stained red oak and limestone floors. We added a two story addition on the back of the house and a new deeper (10.5' ceiling) finished basement area with stone floors, fireplace and dark oak wet bar under the addition (in the Midwest these spaces see a lot of use).

To keep down costs, I'm planning to use some wall tile we purchased for another project but did not use from The Tile Shop, 12" polished Fiorito, so this bath will have beige walls. May get the tile guy to cut it into brick shapes. Wish it weren't polished but I am sure it can work. Any ideas for decorative wall treatment and flooring are also appreciated.

Because this is a wet room (no curtain or door) and I'm worried about moisture in spite of the fan system, I have nixed doing a wood vanity for the sink. An antique stone or cast or metal sink really seems called for, maybe with a wall mount faucet.

DH liked this one but not the price:

Here is a link that might be useful: Marble sink on Gothic iron stand

Comments (11)