SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
magothyrivergirl

QofTD 11/15/11 MacGyver Quilters?

magothyrivergirl
12 years ago

A fun question for today!

What did you have to 'invent' out of necessity or because you did not want to buy what you needed to work on a sewing project?

Yesterday I had some time to add snowflakes to the SnoGlobes - thank you Teresa! for the suggestion. She told me to use Sulky 12 wgt thread - I could not find it, bought DMC floss. It was pretty, but not perfect - too bulky and using one strand shredded. I pulled out the Bright White Glide Poly thread for Machine quilting & embroidery. It has a high sheen, and 2 strands were perfect. I also needed an embroidery hoop - I have one somewhere - metal, and it must be at least 45 years old ~lol~I have not embroidered since Junior High School probably......what to use.....I had time to either go buy one or figure something out. I cut a round deli container leaving only a ring at the top and used a rubberband from the newspaper! It worked! Not perfect, but it did the job.

I can't be the only one who 'makes do' in a pinch. How have you solved a problem using everyday household items?

Comments (22)