SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimmieb_gw

Pool House Small Kitchen DIY Remodel

kimmieb
15 years ago

Finally feel like I am doing something. After 8 months of waiting for architects, loans, contractors, etc. to begin our whole house remodel and 8 months of being jealous of all of the posters on here who were actully getting their house built or done, DH & I decided to tackle a seemingly small project all by ourselves, our approx 400 sq foot pool house.

The pool house was dark and hardly useable as it was musty & needed some TLC. Prior to our purchase, the house had been occupied for a few years by college students and then sat up while it was on the market for almost a year prior to our moving in. With summer around the corner & the fact that we had offered to host some professional tennis players during a local tournament here in Baton Rouge last week, we started work on 3/23. So we took all of the great advice from Garden Web and put it to good use. We are very pleased with the outcome. I wanted to share with all of you some pics. This was my first dive into DIY and i have to say it was fun. Hard work but, I learned a lot. You really get a sense of accomplishment that I didn't realize. I know it's not a luxury remodel but, hopefully it will inspire those on a budget or in a small kitchen house that paint and some sweat equity can go a long way.

Still need to do the floors, PO had just painted the concrete slab. We also need to replace the ceiling fan and switch plates for outlets. I have some more decorating to do in the living area but, the kitchen is 99% done.

I have to say painting these cabinets was a LOT of hard work. I posted some info about the paint & such on the paint forum.

Here are the details:

Cabinets were stained orginally but, the finish was not thick. We sanded, primed, and painted in white. I left one of the cabinet's as open shelving and I like it. We left the upper cabinets up as it is good storage for the purpose of this house. New lighting was installed in the kitchen. New small refigerator. New pulls & knobs installed. For now we are keeping the formica countertops, kitchen sink, and stove top. They match and are adaquete for a pool house. Since i have so much to do in the main house & yard, this is a low priority. Walls were orginally a SW off white kind of gold color on the trim, walls, and ceiling.

New wall color: BM Aura Flat in Fieldstone

New Ceiling color: BM Aura Ceiling Paint flat in a 50% mix of the Fieldstone

Cabinets are BM Satin Impervo in White Dove

Trim is also BM Satin Impervo in White Dove

Cabinet knobs & pulls from Coolknobs&pulls.com. They are the silver satin finish. Order came in quickly. The only thing that was a huge pain is that the screws had to be sawed off to fit the cabinets.

I am only going to post pics of the kitchen in this forum but, will post the bath, living area, etc. in the remodel forum.

Thanks to all for your advice. I hope this post helps some people out in the future. I will post pictures shortly & more details in the kitchen forum

Walls BM Aura in Fieldstone

Ceiling is BM Aura Ceiling Paint flat in a 50% mix of the Fieldstone

Cabinets are BM Satin Impervo in White Dove

Trim is also BM Satin Impervo in White Dove

Cabinet knobs & pulls from Coolknobs&pulls.com. They are the silver satin finish.

Both the track light & the pendant in the kitchen came from Lowe's

Countertops & appliances were existing and I am not changing them for now.

Thanks to all for your advice & inspiration.

BEFORE:

{{gwi:1814150}}

DURING:

{{gwi:1814153}}

{{gwi:1814156}}

{{gwi:1814157}}

{{gwi:1814158}}

AFTER:

{{gwi:1533634}}

{{gwi:1533643}}

{{gwi:1556556}}

{{gwi:1556558}}

{{gwi:1533641}}

{{gwi:1533642}}

{{gwi:1556557}}

{{gwi:1533642}}

ONE PIC OF REST OF INTERIOR (lighting is not good)

{{gwi:1533633}}

Comments (9)