SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
lain_gw

Sunroom size and flooring suggestions

lain
16 years ago

Hi all. We are in the process of planning an addition on to our home. I call it a sunroom, although it will be a four-season room with a gas fireplace in our Mid-western house. I envision a quaint room with a couple of chairs and a loveseat, a small dinette set, and a couple of end tables...just enough to create a cozy and inviting conversation area. However, the more people I talk to (including builders), the more they are saying to go with a larger area. (We haven't decided on a size yet. Although I was thinking of maybe around a 14 x 16.) "Most people wish they would have gone larger afterwards," is what I am hearing. I don't want a family room... And I don't want our living room to lose it's function. We live in a 1600 sq ft ranch with finished basement. There are five members of our household. It's not large, but I don't feel cramped. The sunroom will have a reversed gable style roof with an open ceiling, so I am envisioning an open feel even if the room is not that large. A few people have said they wouldn't go smaller than a 16 x 20 room. Does anyone have any feed back as to size and function of a room addition? Also, I am exploring flooring materials for this room. Any suggestions here? The room will have a crawl space and will be heated. Does any one know about cork flooring? (I think I have decided against carpeting as the room will have an entrance to the outside as well). Thank you so much for your input!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz