SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pineapplecake

Oy. Bi-fold door hardware.

pineapplecake
15 years ago

Ok. What's the deal with bi-fold door hardware? I'm having a heck of a time finding a decent set for a 36" closet door. Maybe my expectations are just wrong.

Our current door in this spot has a track and at the top on one side, there's a guide with a wheel something like this:

{{!gwi}}

We're replacing that door because it's old and ugly. It also doesn't move very easily, the track is beat up and has been painted (not by us). So we figured we'd replace all of the hardware at the same time. The hardware that came with the door not only had a bent track (I got a slightly better one by taking the bad one back), but the guide at the top of the door doesn't have a wheel. It's just a plastic peg that apparently is supposed to rattle around in the track to keep the door from going off track.

This seems unlikely to work well, especially over the long haul. I thought, "Ok, no problem. I'll just go to the hardware store and buy a better set of hardware. No dice. I've been to three hardware stores (the two big chains plus a local store), and all of the folding door hardware sets they have for 36" doors have the same thing. What the heck? Is this the new thing? Has it always been the thing? Does this work better than I think it will? Is it possible to get a solid set of hardware for a 36" door???

Thanks.

Comments (11)