SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldhousefreak_gw

Eye Opener on Hiring Help

oldhousefreak
17 years ago

We are an elderly couple that has had to hire out for alot of repairs and some remodeling. There are no skilled laborers in our area. We can't even get recommendations from anyone. When we ask, they can't think of anyone that's good. It's that bad!

So we've had to pay for work to be done twice, etc to be done right. It's been a real nightmare and draining our finances. Very sad that people will take your money when they don't have a clue what they are doing.

Well the good news is I found our state has district court records for our county online! We just interviewed another potential carpenter for some porch repair, and when I looked him up at the website, he was a defendant on several small claims cases and even had a breaking and entering charge against him! I looked up some of the previous workers here, and many of them also had small claims cases against them.

We're still overwhelmed with work that needs to be done, and I wish we could find help, but at least with the online records search, I will be forearmed next time.

Thought I might pass that along as a remodeling tip. Your areas may have records online also. It's well worth a google search to find out.

I also learned that no one is touching this house unless I call the permit office first. They know us by name now and are nice enough to tell us on some of the work that technically it may not need a permit for a particular job, but it might be a good idea to pull one anyway, just to make sure the work is done right. Most people are afraid of permit offices, but they really are there to protect our homes, and in some cases our lives. It a potential hire balks at a permit, I tell him I'm not interested.

Just thought I'd pass it along. I know I can't be the only one with shoddy help.

Comments (13)