SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heavydaiper

Cost to Gut 5x8 Bathroom?

heavydaiper
10 years ago

I'm wondering what the cost would be to do a gut of our master bath and I know there are tons of variables to this so let me give some parameters first:

-We already have a brand new vanity, sink, mirror, toilet and fan/light fixture.
-The bathroom just has a shower stall, no tub.
-It definitely needs to be gutted because after replacing the mirror I realized the funky drywall texture they had done was actually to hide wallpaper (it's not sealed, peeling up in some hard to notice spots).
-right now the only fixture I would want to move is the shower head & knobs. Basically you walk in and on your left is sink/toilet and on your right is shower stall and a floor to ceiling cabinet. I want to remove this cabinet and extend the shower stall the full 5 feet lengthwise and either do 2 shower heads on opposite walls, or one and a little bench on he other end.
-Right now the shower door swings open and hits the toilet at about 100 degrees, so I'm thinking a nice clear glass sliding door or something frameless to open up the space (it feels TINY).
-The left wall behind the sink/toilet backs up to the walk in closet, so I guess I could extend this a bit and get some more sq footage, but I'm sure that would cost lots of $$$$.

As for the labor, I love to do work myself, but would definitely sub out plumbing, given the fixture change and maybe the tile (but I think if I had the patience I could do it myself). I also don't know how great I will be with the drywall finishing so maybe I would sub that out too.

For reference I'm in Dallas and the house is relatively cheap (160k) so I'm not going to drop 15k in one (tiny) bathroom.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated :D

Comments (4)