SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alicia58801

Pine ceiling...what color should go on the walls?

alicia58801
14 years ago

Hello all!

This is my first post on the Decorating Forum, as I've been spending a lot of time at the Building and Kitchens forums! We are building a new house with a rustic feel. It is an open floor plan with great room, dining room, and kitchen all flowing into one another.

All of our trim is natural pine, no stain, just a water-based finish to decrease yellowing. The ceiling (cathedral with 17 ft. peak) will also be natural pine. The wood is a very light creamy yellow.

We have chosen a rustic oak hardwood flooring in a medium brown stain, with reddish tones.

I'm having a very hard time deciding what colors might look nice with our trim and flooring. As I said, it is basically one large room without any breaks to change colors. So the color I choose for the great room will go through dining and into the kitchen. Kitchen has a loft above (so no wood on the kitchen ceiling) with natural alder cabinets and a dark brown island. The cabinets go to the ceiling, so there will be very little wall space to paint in the kitchen.

Sorry, I wish I had some photos for you. There is a lot of wood going on in this house, so do I stick with a neutral white or go with color? If anyone has suggestions for what would look best with light wood trim and ceiling and medium dark floors, I would appreciate it!

Alicia

Comments (14)