SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mpmg46

Very modest kitchen reno...almost finished

mpmg46
12 years ago

I have popped on here every once in a while, to ogle and be inspired! Our own remodel isn't anything compared to what you all have achieved, so I'm slightly embarrassed to even post our pictures of what we have done so far, but b/c I've visited and have asked questions and all of you have been so gracious, I wanted to say thank you.

Here is what the kitchen looked like originally:

{{!gwi}}

We tore out the wall (with sink/dishwasher) b/w the kitchen and morning room. Our goal was to make one cohesive room that would be beneficial to our family for everyday use (having an eat in island, for the kids to do homework/eat snacks, etc), as well as a better space for entertaining family and friends. The big open area (with the hideous brass light hanging down) was an eat in kitchen deemed by the builder, but it was too small for a table, yet a wide open space that wasn't useful at all. So we wanted to utilize that space.

The floor is a 4 3/4 in handscraped Distressed Old World Oak

The cabinets were repainted SW Snowfall White (and we had a few new cabinets built as well) The cabinets on this side of the island haven't still need to be painted.

The counter top is Fiesta Gold Granite (middle of the road)

We added under and over cabinet lighting, as well as crown molding and light rail to finish the cabinets off.

I have kept the original knobs (they aren't all back on yet!), but will change them out soon.

I still need to choose light fixtures for over the island. I would love pendants, but don't know how many to use, or if we even should use pendant. Any suggestions? The thing is that they need to be centered on the island, but I don't know if they will look ok, since there is the big drop in the ceiling in between the two rooms.

I plan to replace the kitchen table and ceiling fan, and the white appliances when we have the money again.

I originally wanted to take the rest of that wall down--at the end of the cabs on the right, but it's a structural wall, and for a house that we will probably only be in for the next 10 years, it wasn't worth it to pay that kind of $$ to do so. I know it would have looked better with it down though...

Other than those things, does it look ok? I dream of having a gorgeous kitchen someday, but on a budget and without tearing out walls or adding sq footage, did we do an alright job? I'm so worried that I made a huge mistake--that the island is too big or that we shouldn't have painted the cabinets.

Here is a pic...please don't be too harsh! Thank you to all of you who helped and gave answers to my questions over the last few months. I'm appreciative. Oh--and I know I still need bar stools. ;)

{{!gwi}}

Comments (77)