SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
autumngal_gw

So stumped on what colors to paint my house! would love help...

autumngal
13 years ago

I've been trying to decide what colors to paint my 1898 Colonial Revival but I'm totally stumped! Any help or suggestions that anyone can give me will be much appreciated.

What I'd like: something historic, or at least something that gives a nod to history, I'd also love the porch ceiling to be a nice Haint blue, but there doesn't need to be blue anywhere else. I think the original color was a French gray. Also, in front is a large perennial garden with a rash of color, I'd love something that doesn't compete with that yet is still interesting when the world is white in winter.

Sticking points: The main sticking points are the color of my neighbor's houses. Most of the homes on our street are white, but the homes on either side of me are not. One house is an olive dark green with cream trim and on the other side a yellowish cream color with brown trim. I feel like every color combination I choose looks something like one of those colors.

On one side:

On the other:

The colors I keep coming back to is SW Sensible Hue, trimmed with Link Gray and the sash Mahogany. The problem is in the right light, it looks very similar to my olive neighbor's house. I also love yellow and the idea of doing Hubbard Squash with a lighter yellow trim (I mixed birdseye maple with white, but it looked very similar to my neighbor on the other side's house). Blue just doesn't seem the right color for this house. Any suggestions?

Thank you so much!

Comments (25)