SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
bmh4796

finishing attic: which option - A or B?

bridget helm
11 years ago

So we have approx 1900 sf house in Baton Rouge, LA and are having our 4th child. If it's a boy (we find out Tuesday) then our son can share a room with the baby. But if a girl, we need to make more room as our 2 girls are already doubling up. We love our home, built it 4 years ago custom, so I really don't want to move.

I've spoken to a contractor who has yet to give me any definite numbers on costs of our 2 options. I'm more confused than ever, but I really like him, but the numbers are what we need. We are an a sort of tight budget since school tuition is high.

So here is our first option, OPTION A:

go up into the attic over our current living area which will cause us to:

1) have to lose my sons room to the stairs (half would be left, so would become storage area - his room is only 12x12)

2) have to move the entire AC unit in the attic over to another part of the attic to make way for the stairs

3) need 2 rooms upstairs since our son would lose his room

4) we already have 2 dormers on the roof that are non operable, so we'd need to add operating windows

5) we'd need a small separate AC unit for the upstairs

6) we'd make bathroom up over the downstairs bathroom where plumbing would line up

7) one hurdle is that fact that we have difft level flooring in the attic (our den is 12 ft ceilings while the rest of the house is 9 ft, so this is a "complication")

8) we'd have to move to mother in law's guest house while construction is going on

Okay here is OPTION B:

to add room up over our garage. This would require the following:

1) possibly an additional water heater

2) narrowing our garage to make room inside to fit stairs

3) raising the roof over the garage, which means more stucco or brick wall on the exterior.

4) at least 2 windows

5) a separate AC unit for the upstairs only

6) bathroom would line up over our laundry room plumbing

7) we wouldn't have to move out sine the contruction is not right in the middle of all of our bedrooms

8) contractor is acting like we may as well put 2 rooms up there while we are at it, but since we won't be losing our son's room, i'm thinking that's dumb as it will cost more. the one main pro of option B is not having to do 2 rooms, right???

9) contractor seems to be leaning toward option B more as it seems more convenient with less hurdles (the multilevel floors, the AC unit needing to be moved, not having to maneuver around preexisting wires and pipes and insulation as they would have to do with option A)

Soooooo, with all of that being said, would any of you please chime in with your opinions of which option sounds the CHEAPEST to you.

My common sense says option A since the actual structure of the exterior of the home wouldn't be messed with. But maybe I'm wrong since the floor levels are difft and the AC would need to be moved??? Ahhhhh, so confusing.

Comments (8)