SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marys1000

cash vs. down payment/mortgage re closing costs

marys1000
16 years ago

I'm really bad with numbers, percentages, the concept of points - all that.

Apparently closing costs factor heavily into buying if your not sure how long your going to live in a house, especially if you live in a low appreciation area.

So I have some questions re closing costs (one thing at a time:)

Closing costs come along with a mortgage or more accurately I suppose a loan?

Seems like a lot of the closing costs come from the title company - and you have to do that anyway? I.e. why are loan closing costs a big deal?

And do mortgage related closing costs go up with the amount of the loan? How why?

Then depending on the last, only buying a house full price/cash is an advantage? A hefty downpayment and smaller loan gets you (no)where?

So when people talk closing costs - are we talking two types?

The type you pay no matter what - say you bought full purchase price - or even inherited a house.

and the ones that come along with a loan?

Which are loans one and which are not?

I've tried to read about this on the web a little but they seem to start out with too much detail for me and I'm quickly overloaded. I need to start real big picture concept and then later my brain will maybe let details in a little at a time (I think this is sort of like math anxiety, my brain just curls up like hedgehog when it hears anything math related, like the word "percentage" LOL).

Thanks to anyone who chimes in,

Mary

Comments (7)