SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
freedee_gw

Demolition is the least important part of the job, right?

freedee
17 years ago

I'm GCing my home expansion. A kitchen designer is handling the kitchen part of the project.

I thought I could save a little money on the demolition, removing all the sheet rock from the room, as required from the kitchen designer. I considered getting any unemployed person to help me do it. I couldn't find someone cheep to do it when I needed it to be done. Instead I went with someone who is insured etc, It cost me $1,500 to remove the sheet rock from the wall and ceiling of a 20' x15' room.

The contractors worker came before the boss was there. They brought thier tools in, smiled at me and and pick up his hammer and hit the center of one wall. With the very first blow, he hit a copper water pipe. He hit it at just the spot where there was a wood support behind it so that instead of being pressed back into the wall (the copper is somewhat flexable) it burst the pipe.

Water started spilling everywhere. It took a little while to figure out where the water shut off was. After I shut the water off, the workers started to do the demolition. I stopped them and said, no help me clean up the mess in the basement. They asked me "what is it you want me to do?" I said "make believe it was your house, and clean up what is wet". They did a supperficial job.

After the work was finished I asked what are we going to do about the plumbing problem? The contractor wanted to send his own person over to fix the pipe. I said I want my plumber, who I trust, to do the repair, and for him to pay for it. He agreed. It is a small, easily accesable whole in the pipe. I don't think it would cost me to much to repair. I took $300 off the bill. I'm pretty sure it will cost me less, but I don't know what other damage it may have caused. My phone stopped working right after that, I don't think that's a coinsidence.

I'll be showering at my neighbors house untill the plumber comes on monday. (This happened sat. afternoon.) I had the phone company foward my calls to my fax line untill they come to repair my line on tuesday. (That's a great trick that not many people know that you can do if you have more than one line. Just ask the phone Co. to do it for you untill they come.)

I'm calm, the only thing I'm worried about is that someone told me about a leak that they had from a burst pipe that was closed down within a few minutes, and that they thought that everything was alright after they cleaned up, but that they had dammage behind the walls that was a very big deal to repair.

Comments (3)